Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye Roast - advice?

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy,

So, we have 2 of these ribeye roasts - 1 is 2.21 lb, the other is 3.44 lb.

ribeyeroasts.jpg

My thoughts are to hot tub, then sear, the rub and foil/rest, then cook at dome temp = 250 until about 120, then rest again to allow internal temp to climb a bit (hopefully to 125-130ish).

Does that sound like a good plan? Also, how long to sear? "Big Polish" stated in this thread:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1061832&catid=1#

that he seared for 15-20 MINUTES? man, that seems like a long time?? :huh:

Also, at the sizes they are, how long do ya'll think it should take to cook? I was thinking of putting both in the Egg together.

P.S. I've used my new Bernz-O-Matic "Quick Fire" torch:

http://www.bernzomatic.com/quickfire-hand-torch.aspx

And it works GREAT!! I thought I had a pretty good way of lighting the Egg before, when I used the paraffin cubes & my old bellows - but the torch lights it WAAAY faster!! And yes, there are sparks, and the torch nozzle is pretty close to the lump, but I just put a welder's glove on & I'm good to go!!

Thanks,
Rob
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hot tubbing will reduce the time required to roast it after the rest, and may even eliminate it. but your plan sounds fine
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I just did one Friday night and posted yesterday [See "Publix $5.99 Prime Rib].
    I used a method that calls for stabilizing your egg at 500, putting on the roast indirect, then shutting down the vents for a 350 setting. Mine turned out perfect. I pulled at 120, it rose to 140 during rest. Very easy method. Mine was a two bone roast, maybe a little smaller than yours, took slightly over an hour. :)
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Cool - thanks guys - will post pics when of the process & finished product.

BTW, from the links a couple of you directed me to, I'm assuming a "ribeye" is technically the same as a "prime rib"???

When I originally searched, I keyed in "ribeye roast" (as that's the name given on the package), and didn't really look at any threads which had "prime rib" in them, so I didn't see those threads...

(just wish grocery stores would pick a standard name & stick to it) hehe... :P

Also, since these are bigger (thicker) than any other steaks I've done, how long should I sear them? (I don't want to overly char them)...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Right, they are technically the same, and BTW, I think the roast I did Friday night was about the same size as your small one. Good luck, and let us know how it all comes out :)