Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beans

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Talking about salt below got me to thinking about beans ....[p]and I never knew there were so many types of beans available ....[p]http://beanbag.net/store_index.html[p]Ordered me about 9 different heirloom varieties,
just to give them a try you know.[p]and to enhance my knowledge I also ordered a book ...[p]The Bean Bible: A Legumaniac's Guide to Lentils, Peas, and Every Edible Bean on the Planet![p]Happy egging !

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    Patrick in GA,
    get a bean pot,cant be beat for boston baked beans.

[ul][li]bean pot[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Patrick in GA, Get a pot like fishlessman says. After soaking and par-boil put everything in pot (Onion,bacon,molasses,mustard,brown sugar)at bottom. Put into oven (don't know if egg would break ceramic bean pot?)at 210 degrees just before bedtime: cook all night. Very easy and you will never open another can of beans.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Patrick in GA,
    I eaten and loved baked beans all my life but the type of bean used has always been a curiosity to me. Naturally, growing up in Louisiana, I ate baked local beans made with cane syrup and they were great. Then I was stationed in Massachusetts and had their style of beans and they were also great. I’ve been to parties all over America and loved their type of baked beans. I just assumed it was the recipe and the question as to type of bean being used never occurred to me. I just took it for granted that they were all the same. Not so… because when I came to Texas, theirs are different. Then I started to wonder.[p]So, what type of bean is best for “Baked Beans?”[p]Spring “Half Baked” Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Spring Chicken,[p]For Louisiana Red Beans I heard that
    Camellia brand red beans are best.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Patrick in GA, beans and related chili type items are incredibly changed and improved by cooking on the egg.It is much more moist and taste is MUCH better. Glad you brought this up. Try a cast iron, (Lodge is great) Dutch oven, with the TOP OFF. This will allow the smoke to absorb into the beans or chili. Add some good bourbon ; stir every 30 minutes. Plant protein or beans is the best food you can eat for your health.... it tastes "nearly" as good as "pulled Pork" smoked on Dr. Egg. Well, maybe....but everything is way better on the Egg.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]'So, what type of bean is best for “Baked Beans?”'[p]I'm assuming your talking about classic baked beans? I've tried a few different varieties of white beans. The best, as far as I'm concerned, are navy beans. I've found others, including Northern, turn out too mushy while navy beans maintain a more "al dente" texture. But, different people have different tastes.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I have my Great Grandmothers Bean Pot that was given to her by a member of the Cabot familty , of THE Cabots and Lodges, on Beacon Hill (she cleaned their house) in 1885.......I cooked some baked beans just last week on the BGE with it! Everyone thinks I'm nuts to use it, but I THINK it should be used as it was intended. I'm living in Charleston,SC now and my friends said that these were the BEST baked bean that they have ever had......the recipe is sooo simple......it HAS TO BE THE BEANPOT!! Paul [p]p.s you MUST have steamed brown bread, with loads of butter, with the baked beans!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Spring Chicken
    i like yellow eyes the best, however when making boston baked beans i like to mix up the beans. 1/3 of each, yellow eye, red, and kidney. gives a good flavor and a better texture than just one bean. i live near boston, and mostly the beans ive eaten are kidney and yellow eye

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    i would use that bean pot too, the old ones are getting expensive to buy if you find one, but the old ones are the best.

fukahwee maine