Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garam Masala: Indian spice

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading up on Garam Masala.
It is an Indian spice blend consisting of cinnamon,
Ginger, Cumin, pepper, and other spices. There is no salt in it.

I wonder how it would go as a Rub. Chicken ? Ribs ?

Does anybody here have experience using Garam Masala? Thoughts of using as a rub.

Thanks.
Gary

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Gary,

Garam Masala is a house blend of spices and vary gratly from household to household and region to region. It is sort of like a seasoning to add on top of other spices, kind of like we use salt and pepper. You could have a dish flavoured with coriander, cumin, turmeric, cloves and cinnamon and have those same spices in the masala. It is sort of another layer. You could add salt and use it as a rub.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    Garam Masala is a mixture of spices. I would not use it on its own as a rub. Add it to a rub or sauces. Add it to yogurt to marinate chicken for a tandori style. I have some I took back from India. I would not dare use it on its own! Andy
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Thanks, Steven. I figured you would be the one with knowledge of Gram Masala.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I always suggest to people that don't have access to Indian restaurants to just pick up a jar of Pataks premade seasoning and see if they like the flavour. Many don't

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I really like this spice. I put it in all my chicken dishes and also put it in my beef jerky marinade.
    Packerland, Wisconsin