Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brine a wild turkey breast?

Options
achtungpv
achtungpv Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friend gave me a boned breast from a turkey he shot. Gonna put it on the smoker as an appetizer to our brisket and sausage. Plan on cutting it into chunks and wrapping in bacon. I've never cooked a wild turkey breast before. I assume it's much drier than farm raised. Should I brine it or is the bacon fat enough to keep it juicy? If I do brine is it better to brine it before or after I cut it into chunks?

Comments

• Vincent Chase
    Options
    I've never had wild turkey before (not unless you count the whiskey) but I would definitely brine. Personally, I like to brine just about any protein because it's an easy step that basically ensures a juicy final product and is another way to add layers of flavor. Obviously turkey benefits from a brine, being as lean as it is, and I'm thinking any flavors you add to the brine would help curb any gaminess the bird may have. On a side note, we had some killer fried chicken using a recipe from Thomas Keller and the brine used was awesome - Google 'Thomas Keller Ad Hoc Fried Chicken' and look over the brine ingredients.. I bet it would be just as terrific with turkey.

As far as brining before or after cutting up, I'm not sure it makes a huge difference in the long run. Good luck!