Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh ham help please!

Options
funk49
funk49 Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess this will not turn out to be a ham? It's a 10 pound butt now I believe? How would you cook it on the egg? I'm hoping to avoid real low and slow. I don't have a digiQ and would like to get some sleep. :lol:
IMG_20110421_131605.jpg
IMG_20110421_131621.jpg

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Want it done fast? Rub it down like normal. Cook it at 350* indirect until it hits 165* internal, double wrap in aluminum foil and back on the egg. Pull it when it hits 200* internal temp.

Pull when ready!
  • funk49
    funk49 Posts: 115
    Options
    Crimsongator wrote:
    Want it done fast? Rub it down like normal. Cook it at 350* indirect until it hits 165* internal, double wrap in aluminum foil and back on the egg. Pull it when it hits 200* internal temp.

Pull when ready!
    Thanks! How long do you think it will take for a 10 pounder? I would like to start it in the morning and have it done in the afternoon if possible ? Late afternoon is when I need it?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    a butt is from the front, and a ham from the back. if it is a ham, it is uncured. essentially it is a pork roast, and will be white when cooked like a roast would be. ham's also have a little grey muscle as well.

it's too late to make a cured ham out of it, if that's what you are hoping to do
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Do you want pulled pork or something you can slice like a ham? Looks to me like you have a fresh, uncured ham - i.e. back leg portion of a hog. The butt comes from the front shoulder.

Pulled pork - follow the advice by crimsongator in this thread, or do a low and slow cook, trust the egg, and get your sleep.

If you want something to slice then pull it in the 160-170 range.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Do you pull it at 160 and then slice it or should you slice it before you pull it? I am sooo confused

Steve 

Caledon, ON