Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Soon to be egg owner...NOOB!

Brew'nQueBrew'nQue Posts: 44
edited 3:12PM in EggHead Forum
Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking here for a few months. Finally have decided to buy an egg and become a member here. I realize this'll affect my wallet from here on out!

Haven't bought my egg yet, but I'm planning on buying a large. (still convincing the wife that I need to buy it NOW! Any advice?) I'm planning on building a table with the naked whiz plans. I figure if I go ahead and do that, then I'll HAVE to buy my egg when it's done, right?

Anyways, I live in Wichita, KS and see that there are at least a few other folks who really like windy weather here. (other Kansans) My other big hobby is brewing beer, hence the username. I've been using a Weber Smokey Mountain for my smoking for the past few years, and have been happy with it, but I'm looking forward to the versatility of the egg. (love to make homemade pizza and REALLY looking forward to the 'brick oven pizza' possibilities with the egg.

I look forward to learning a lot around here!

Comments

  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    Welcome... The sooner the better! You can use my wife's line when folks say "you bought what?!?! For how much?!?!" She simply says... Yes... it was worth every penny and I reap all the benefits since he cooks the most delicious food!

    There isn’t anything an egg can’t cook... from pizzas to pork. I think we would all agree that the cost is higher than most on the front end, but the sleep and reduction in fuel costs I believe offset that 100 fold-- not to mention the delicious dishes coming your way!

    Be sure to let us know when you get that egg and don’t skimp on the photos!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,616
    Welcome aboard. You are gonna love it. Take lots of pics.

    Rowlett, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

  • Brew'nQueBrew'nQue Posts: 44
    Derby City Egghead wrote:
    Be sure to let us know when you get that egg and don’t skimp on the photos!
    Will do!

    As for the price of the egg, I really don't see it as all that bad. I mean, it's basically an oven, smoker, and grill. All for under $1k!

    I'll put pics up of my table build...as long as it doesn't turn out ugly. :P
  • SlickSlick Posts: 382
    Welcome to the cult!
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Depending on the size of your family and your current eating habits, you may be saving yourself a small fortune once you have the egg. You will want to eat your own home cooked meals moving forward and if you're used to eating out, you'll be saving huge money with every meal. B)

    and you won't believe how much fun it is. :woohoo:
  • Welcome aboard. It's a kick in the butt past time.
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,482
    Congratulations Brew!! You're going to love your new family member. :)

    Mike

    I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

    Omaha, NE
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 3,492
    If you don't mind a little bit of a drive, there is a dealer in Maryville, KS, that that at least when my buddy got his egg was about 150 dollars cheaper then the dealers around here, but we are north of you in Nebraska so it could be completely different for you. Good luck!!! ;) :)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    Welcome! Your in for a lifestyle change. :P

    I cooked on a Weber bullet smoker for years, they are a lot of fun and now I got this crazy idea to build a U.D.S. :ohmy: :P
    My eggs are and always will be my favorite cookers.
    Post some pic's when ya can.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    welcome.
    ask away, and as others have said, try to post pics, too.

    a quick note: your name/handle is almost identical to another member's. he's not overly active, but does pop in from time to time. "BrewandQue" is his name. Might want to consider changing yours so our simple minds aren't confused :laugh:

    i only noticed it because i honestly thought for a second "i thought BrewandQue had a BGE already?"

    anyway, welcome
    ask whatever you want. and don't let fidel intimidate you ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 1,306
    Derby City Egghead wrote:
    Welcome... The sooner the better! You can use my wife's line when folks say "you bought what?!?! For how much?!?!" She simply says... Yes... it was worth every penny and I reap all the benefits since he cooks the most delicious food!

    CC, I am glad that you got a positive response. :) My wife was a little less thrilled, and the excitement lessened with every new cooker that came home. But, she likes the food off of them ...

    John - SLC, UT

     Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3, Blackstones

  • fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
    Welcome Brew'Que!! your gonna love your Egg!!
  • Brew'nQueBrew'nQue Posts: 44
    Scottborasjr wrote:
    If you don't mind a little bit of a drive, there is a dealer in Maryville, KS, that that at least when my buddy got his egg was about 150 dollars cheaper then the dealers around here, but we are north of you in Nebraska so it could be completely different for you. Good luck!!! ;) :)

    Thanks for the info. I make my way up to Manhattan quite a bit (KSU alum) so a trip on up to Marysville wouldn't be too far out of the way...especially if I can get it $150 cheaper there. Ultra Modern Pools is the egg dealer here in Wichita. I've never been impressed with them when working on my hot tub. I'll see what their prices are, then call the place in Marysville.

    Thanks again
  • Brew'nQueBrew'nQue Posts: 44
    stike wrote:
    a quick note: your name/handle is almost identical to another member's. he's not overly active, but does pop in from time to time. "BrewandQue" is his name. Might want to consider changing yours so our simple minds aren't confused :laugh:

    Oops! I'll change it. Just gotta think of another name..
  • Welcome aboard! I too am a newbie and bought the large egg. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada (just up from Maine) and our weather is similar to New York. For that reason, I decided to build my table out of cedar as opposed to oak (much cheaper too).
    My advice to you is this: when you build your table, the lower frame is supposed to be 17" from the top of the upper frame. When I used this measurement, my hinge couldn't clear the back of the table, meaning I couldn't open it. I had to take it out, modify the back and put it back together. This was really frustrating because you can't test for this without building the table first, dropping the egg in, attaching the lid and giving it a go.
    To avoid this, use 16.5 inches as your measurement. This half inch will give you the clearance that you need.
    Cheers!
    rockland75
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    yeah. sorry. don't mean to be the handle-police... I just noticed it because i thought the name was a good one, and it 'stuck'. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BGE and homebrewing go hand in hand. Nothing like the smell of a slow cooking butt, mixing with the smell of a slow boiling wort. I think it's what Heaven smells like. :P
  • I tell folks that there are lots of people that drop $15k on a nice bass boat and only use it a few times a year. I use my BGE several times a week, year round.
  • Brew'nQueBrew'nQue Posts: 44
    rockland75 wrote:
    Welcome aboard! I too am a newbie and bought the large egg. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada (just up from Maine) and our weather is similar to New York. For that reason, I decided to build my table out of cedar as opposed to oak (much cheaper too).
    My advice to you is this: when you build your table, the lower frame is supposed to be 17" from the top of the upper frame. When I used this measurement, my hinge couldn't clear the back of the table, meaning I couldn't open it. I had to take it out, modify the back and put it back together. This was really frustrating because you can't test for this without building the table first, dropping the egg in, attaching the lid and giving it a go.
    To avoid this, use 16.5 inches as your measurement. This half inch will give you the clearance that you need.
    Cheers!
    rockland75

    VERY nice to know. Thanks!
  • Brew'nQueBrew'nQue Posts: 44
    PineyWoodsBrewer wrote:
    I tell folks that there are lots of people that drop $15k on a nice bass boat and only use it a few times a year. I use my BGE several times a week, year round.
    Right on!

    And yes, homebrewing and 'Qing do go hand in hand. Two excellent hobbies.
  • Don't change your handle, brother.

    I was BrewandQue. I just changed mine to CaptainSpaulding, after my favorite clown-faced serial killer from Rob Zombie's horror flicks.

    Welcome aboard. Get that egg, fire it up and post some pics...

    And ship me some of that homebrew!

    Joe

    P.S. To stike, thanks for looking out, man.
  • BDogDBDogD Posts: 14
    Brew'nQue wrote:
    PineyWoodsBrewer wrote:
    I tell folks that there are lots of people that drop $15k on a nice bass boat and only use it a few times a year. I use my BGE several times a week, year round.
    Right on!

    And yes, homebrewing and 'Qing do go hand in hand. Two excellent hobbies.

    I could be wrong but I think my homebrewing obsession is more expensive than my BGE obsession. Might not be true when I decide I need a little brother for my XL. I'm think I'm set already on my brew rig... rrrigghttt!

    Homebrew and Que! Love it!!!
  • beesbees Posts: 335
    Welcome! You'll be suprised how much more you will depend on the BGE for the superior end results. Good luck, Randy
  • Brew'nQueBrew'nQue Posts: 44
    CaptainSpaulding wrote:
    Don't change your handle, brother.

    I was BrewandQue. I just changed mine to CaptainSpaulding, after my favorite clown-faced serial killer from Rob Zombie's horror flicks.

    Welcome aboard. Get that egg, fire it up and post some pics...

    And ship me some of that homebrew!

    Joe
    Right on, thanks!

    I haven't been brewing as much lately...only have a single 5 gallon batch that's currently carbing up in the keg. Should be ready to drink in a few days.
  • Brew'nQueBrew'nQue Posts: 44
    BDogD wrote:
    I could be wrong but I think my homebrewing obsession is more expensive than my BGE obsession. Might not be true when I decide I need a little brother for my XL. I'm think I'm set already on my brew rig... rrrigghttt!

    Homebrew and Que! Love it!!!
    Homebrewing definitely can be expensive. It's just like BBQ though...you start out small, then keep adding things as you go. Started out with a simple extract brewing kit...then moved on to all-grain brewing and added a kegerator, keggle, draft equipment, etc etc etc!

    Come to think of it, maybe that's why my wife is not as thrilled about my upcoming BGE purchase. :P
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,834
    Large is a good choice. Building your table, way to go! Be sure and leave some room on the table for the small (you will eventually want) :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now in Rowlett Tx
  • ZymeZyme Posts: 180
    That is so true! The best part of the weekend is hanging out watching/smelling the egg smoking away with a couple of homebrews.
  • ZymeZyme Posts: 180
    Welcome!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.