Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got the weekend started...

Options
Smokin Bob
Smokin Bob Posts: 239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
buttsandbrisket
<p />the right way...[p]2 Butts and a Brisket below @ 230.[p]

Comments

• SmokinBoB, Lookin Good, let us see the final results. Peace.

• Smokin Bob
    Options
    buttsandbrisketII
    <p />The 9AM update...[p]
  • The Other Dave
    Options
    SmokinBoB, I'm fairly certain I would have placed the brisket on the upper layer for cooler temps. Do you think it makes a difference?
  • Smokin Bob
    Options
    The Other Dave,[p]I'll be interested to see what others do as I have always stacked them just this way.[p]Any other thoughts out there?
  • SmokinBoB, I think you did it right. With a platesetter it will protect the brisket. It's been my experirnce that the upper dome runs about 25 degrees hotter than the main cooking grid. So if your dome is 230 as you say the butts are cooking at 230 or so and the brisket is cooking at 205 or so. I'm sure it would work with the butts down and the brisket up as well, it's really all just personal preference. Peace...

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    SmokinBoB,
    This is the set-up I use when doing butts over brisket. The fat melts out of the butts and keeps the brisket moist. One note when I do this set-up I put the fat cap of the brisket down so the drippings from the butts drip on to the brisket from the top and the fat cap below protects against dry-out on the bottom. Joe[p]BTW - If I'm only doing a brisket, I usually go fat cap up and put a little beef broth in the drip pan below. Just a preference. Have had great results both set-ups.

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    FatBack,
    I think you are right about the cooler cooking surface being lower. I have experienced big gaps between the grill level and dome temp when putting on this much meat - about 70* or more at the beginning of the cook - less of a gap (maybe 25* or less) as the cook progresses and the meat heats up.
    I generally monitor both grill temp & dome temp during a low-n-slow. I want to be sure the meat is not the danger zone too long. Oh crap, did I just open up Pandora's box on food safety again? LOL Joe

• Smokin Bob
    Options
    After 18 hours I pulled the 7.25lb brisket @ 194 which is a bit earlier than I have for my other two and this one is MUCH BETTER. In addition, I went with a temp. in the 220-230 range vs. the 250 range previously used.[p]With my new Wicked Good Lump I only made one vent adjustment after the first 5 hours and haven't touched in since (18 hours later)...[p]The wireless probe has now been moved into one of the two Butts and is holding in the 178 range currently.[p]more to follow...
  • Smokin Bob
    Options
    buttandbriskettIII
    <p />Brisket All Done!
  • Smokin Bob
    Options
    buttandbriskettIV
    <p />Butts All Done!