Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Reverse Sear Bone in Ribeye

SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,873
edited 9:54PM in EggHead Forum
The boss wanted baked taters and steak the other day. I asked her to pick up some choice bone in ribeyes.
DSC_0164.JPG

I decided to try a reverse sear. I put the the taters on at about 350. While the taters were on I made up a drip pan with some water, a little wine, and various herbs and spices. I seasoned the steaks with just a little kosher salt and coarse pepper.
DSC_0168.JPG

After 45 minutes or so, I dropped the temp back a little under 300 and added the steaks over the drip pan.
DSC_0169.JPG

I pulled the steaks after about 10 minutes per side. Internal temp of 120. I foiled the taters and the steaks, and let the egg heat up. I threw the stakes back on the flames about 2 minutes per side:
DSC_0173.JPG

I think the steaks turned out pretty dang good.
DSC_0174.JPG

I'm not sure if the whole "wine bath" thing added anything to the cook, but they sure were good. I think the reverse sear works nice when you are cooking other things. The only downside is they are a little hard to flip because they want to fall apart (especially ribeye).

This cook made me want a CI crid :). I still didn't get those perty grill marks.
Thanks for looking.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·

Comments

• WeberWho?WeberWho? Posts: 2,142
    Forget the grill marks. Hell, they could have car tread marks all over them and I wouldn't think twice. Looks good!
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    I've heard many times, you can't taste grill marks but I still like 'em :)

Even with my cast iron grates, it is still important to get them preheated. It takes a while to get them loaded with the heat energy.

Either way, dayum your steaks look tasty! The kids are out tonight so Alexis and I just did bruschetta for dinner. It seemed like a decent light meal at the time but now that I see your steaks....I'm hungry!
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,343
    That looks reeeally looks good.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,873
    Thanks everyone. I was pretty pleased with them. I would definitely try this method again.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·