Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Egg Expansion

JeffMJeffM Posts: 103
edited 11:05AM in EGG Table Forum
How much leeway space should be left around the table opening for a large egg to account for heat expansion? The table top will be marble so no give there. I guess another way to ask the question is how wide should the opening be (or does this depend on the depth the egg is set?) Thanks in advance as this will be for a built in counter in an outdoor kitchen and being new to this community I hope this is not an overasked question. If so, sorry.

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,238
    It depends on how high your egg is up from the base, feet for space etc? I would use a garden tile 1 inch thick BGE feet and then 1 inch extra diameter when you figure out the diameter at the height you end up with. Others will make it a little tighter. Just my humble thoughts.

i wo
  • IQthere4iamIQthere4iam Posts: 106
    JeffM, I just got done building my table with a top made of granite. I got all my specs from the link below. For my specific applicaition the center of the hole was 17 7/8 from the left edge and I used a 21" radius for the hole. the specs for distance from bottom shelf to top shelf are also in the plans.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.pdf
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    BGE reccomends 21", I woud go a little over, maybe 22", to give yourself a little wiggle room :)