Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digital Thermometers

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any opinions? Remote might be nice. I don't know if i need that though. What are you guys using?

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Ronnie,[p]I have a thermapen insta-read and a polder wireless single probe. I'd like the dual probe wireless polder which is usually 39.95 and you can use the two probes either one in the meat and one in the dome or both in different pieces of meat. [p]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Ronnie,
    need them? no
    got them? yes - 3 of them in fact
    They are additional toys in my box.
    Until I bought a BBQ guru so I don't have to worry during an overnight cook I always counted on my bedside monitor to give me a status on the cook - that's when that wireless thermometer is really the most useful.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • What kind do you have?[p]Any experience with Nu-temp?

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Ronnie,
    I have been using a nu temp 701 for years with no problems at all....HTH[p]Wess

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Ronnie,
    ive had good luck with maverick wireless,going onthree years, same batteries, same probes.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Moldy Coyote
    Options
    Ronnie,
    I have had good luck with my Maverick ET-73 (dual probe) that I purchased from overstock.com. My next thermometer will be a Thermapen for the quick cooks.[p]David

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Moldy Coyote,
    I meant the maverick two probe, not polder. [p]My bad.

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Ronnie,
    I have 3 ...
    Maverick - 2 probe and remote - I like this one best
    Pampered Chef - 1 probe non remote
    Oregon Scientific - 1 probe and remote.[p]Doug

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Ronnie,
    Well, for the quick read I have a purty yellow Thermapen.
    Then a couple of the wire probe "Polder" style.
    My oldest wireless is a Nu Temp 701.
    My most reliable wireless is from Sharper Image.
    My newest wireless and actually cheapest that works quite well is a Taylor from Ace Hardware.
    The batteries last "forever" even the NuTemp that doesn't have an on/off switch. I haven't used it for cooking for a couple years but leave the sender outside and the monitor bedside as it reads the ambient air tempature without the probe. It reads negative temp even!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Ronnie,
    I picked up a Pyrex digital the other day. The only sensoring point on this unit is the fine point tip and up 1/4 inch. Everything else on the shaft doesnt register. You can hold the sensor in you hand and not see temp changes, but thouch the tip to your finger and starts ramping real fast. This unit also has a 180 degree rotating head. $15.00

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Ronnie,
    I use & love the Maverick ET73. two probes - one meat & one smoking chamber. Allows you to set the temp thresholds on the chamber (high & low) with audible alarm if the temp reaches either temp. Also allows you to set a "done" temp for the meat with audible alarm. Also can monitor cook time (up or down) with an audible alarm. Does everything I need it to. The remote is good to about 60 ' or so. Got my device at the gadgetsource.com The link is below. HTH. Joe

[ul][li]Gadget Source Maveric ET73 Link[/ul]