Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggers in need: Questions from Guestbook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Barbara Ford-Latty, mailto:tigereye4@earthlink.net
Question:
I purchased my egg May 11, 2000 and have not any luck with it. It seems that it gets wet during rain and will not allow the charcoal to light. I wish I had been informed that it wasn't weather-proof...I would never have bought it. Not only that, but my calls into the dealer have gone unanswered.

Comments

• olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Options
    There's more than this than meats the eye. I just recently got a cover for mine, but I had not had a problem with wet charcoal and we have had lots of rain.[p]Are you using lump charcoal?[p]How are you starting your fire?
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,[p]Thanks for posting these. If these newbies are posting in the Guest Book they probably don't know about the Forum.[p]I just replied to Barbara via e-mail, suggesting she check for responses here on that question & any others. I'm rushing out...can someone do the same for the other questioner?[p]Cathy
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Cat,[p]I just sent an email to Merlin, the other questioner referenced by WMK. Basically, I directed him to this forum saying he'd get the real scoops here. Hopefully we'll see him post soon.[p]Cornfed
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cat, Thats one nice thing about this forum and you nailed it down really good. She musta left her dome cap off in a downpour.
    I will e.mail her also...[p]C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />Barbara Ford-Latty,[p]The Egg is certainly weather proof. Don't leave ANYTHING but the rain cap on the chimney or water can seep in the daisy tops. Here is my Egg just a minute before I did a rack of ribs. I cook in rain, hail, sleet, 2 hurricanes and near tornados. Now, you can't leave the top open but my 2 Eggs live outside 100% with now cover and I have not problems.[p]Tim

• Unknown
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,
    My faith has been restored. The folks at BGE have responded to my frustration with concern and alot of great information. I'll keep trying. I won't let one dealer destroy my enthusiasm! :)

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Nope, didn't leave my dome cap off...but I've gotten a great deal of good advice, so my faith is restored!

• Unknown
    Options
    Cat,
    you're right..I didn't know about the forum. thanks for the tip.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Barbara,[p]A hearty welcome to the forum and Egg family. It has been a rough start for you. Stop in here once in a while and things will improve:).[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Barbara, atta girl..keep the faith! Many great chefs here abound, with Spin (below) one of our pizza guru's and MaryB or Mary (same girl) a top notch one of a kind bread baker. We can help ya out from top BBQ to Squid on the cuff by NatureBoy...! Whatever you need,,its been covered here.
    Cheerio..and tnx for your nice e.mail.
    Char-Woody

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Barbara,[p]Welcome aboard...this is a great resource, and a terrific bunch of people. You'll be a pro in no time![p]Cathy