Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooks an used egg better than a new one ?

Options
EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all,

I´ve got a question.
Cookes an old, often used and “seasoned” egg tastier food than a new one ?

I know that effect from the offset metal pits. There is a quite long process to season the “metal” inside of the pit. Some harcore smokers says, an offset metal pit produces better food, with every cook you do, due to the seasoning of every smoke…

Is there any comparable seasoning process with the eggs ?
Is a new egg really ready to cook very good food with very good result - right out of the packaging box ?

I ask this, because I will compete with my team at the World BBQ Championships in Gronau / Germany, and perhaps I will have there a absolute new egg. Any troubles with this, or is my used one, which was used for many, many cooks way to go ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    EggSimon,
    No seasoning is needed in any way. I have bought 4 new eggs and started cooking GREAT food right out of the box, although they were assembled when I got them.
    Temp control is simple but some new eggers have a little trouble at first. Just make small adjustments with the top and bottom draft openings and give the egg some time to adjust in tempature you will be fine.
    Good Luck,
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    The only problem I see is that the judges may not have had egged food yet and aren't quite sure what perfection tastes like. :laugh:

You won't be handicapped one bit with a new egg. Good luck! ;)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    That sure could be a problem. :laugh:
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Great food right of the box...not to worry. Good luck... ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I have 2 large eggs that react differently with vent settings and coming to temp (1 will maintain 180 the other nothing less than 225} so for a serious competition I would stay with the one your familiar with. No difference in the taste of the food but there is something to be said for the comfort zone of the tools.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    good observation, but wonder where it is a competition if he will use a stoker or something....
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I would just be concerned about an ill fitting dome or firering etc,,,, as rare as that might be but for a world championship I personally would haul the equipment I'm familiar with and bring the new egg home :laugh: B)