Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu beef on BGE okay??

Options
Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been told that Wagyu beef is too volatile to be grilled outside as it tends to make the fire flare up in a dangerous way.

I can't imagine that Wagyu beef can't be prepared on the BGE just like any other steaks, but I thought I would ask what people think.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    It's great on the Egg. Someone is giving you bad info! ;) A "bum steer" you could say! :woohoo:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I am not sure what would make it "volatile" but yes people have cooked wagyu beef & briskets on the BGE and it came out great. Do a search for wagyu and you will probably see some results.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if your hesitant, you can always use a cast iron pan in the egg to sear it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    If you're worried about your safety, send a big hunk of it to me as I'm a bit of a dare devil. I'll test cook it on the egg for you and report back to you with any safety concerns. :woohoo:
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I'll gladly be the second Guinea Pig, in the Wagyu Beef Cook Test. :P
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Yes, very dangerous, avoid cooking it on the BGE!! Just send it to me and I'll cook it on my neighbors gasser. :)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Best Brisket I ever cooked was a Wagyu on my XL this past December at the Demopolis BBQ Contest. It was so good I had a hard time turning it in as I wanted to eat it all myself. Nothing wrong with cooking Wagyu on an Egg at all!
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    What makes Wagyu beef special is the marbling. Cooking on high heat can be like frying ice cream. It is often used in Japan sliced thinly and poached in broth, Shabu Shabu. I think you'd lose the essence of such expensive meat on a hot grill.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I have to disagree with you, Patty. I've egged wagyu steaks and ribs and they were superior to prime in tenderness and taste. ;) Then again, I didn't egg them at very high temps!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    While perhaps unconventional for a steak, you could consider using the plate setter and/or drip pan to cook them indirectly. Then you could sear them (perhaps lightly) in a CI skillet if you want some firmer texture on the outside.

I did a reverse sear on some choice bone in ribeyes the other day and I thought they turned out great. Basically cooked them around 10 minutes per side indirect, then I removed the plate setter and let the egg heat up and seared 2 minutes per side. Been meaning to post some pics :blush:

...for the Wagyu, you might want to skip the sear all together, or perhaps just go easy on the heat.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Peter Creasey
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the good info!

Can someone please provide me a more exact procedure for cooking Wagyu steaks e.g. what temperature and how long for the sear and then how long for the subsequent cook?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Hahahaaha
    That is some funny stuff.
    Whoever told you that is cooking a rib eye on a gasser.

No flaring in the egg, not unless you open the lid
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I did a Wagyu brisket and it was great. As far a steaks go, you might want to e-mail these folks... They sell Wagyu to some of the finest restaurants in the Kansas City area. (E-mail at the bottom of "Contact Us" page)