Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting egg :-/

Options
shortfire
shortfire Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large BGE that I would like to take to the coast (~150 mi each way) for a 4/5 day trip at the end of July, to cook for the fam. It can go in a new ford pick up, Toyota sequoia(sp?), Suburban/Toyota 4runner (trying to sell my wife's 4 runner so it either or, and if you're in the market let me know). So a truck bed, back seats, and the back part of a SUV are all options, but space isn't unlimited and I'd like to keep it together if possible. Also id like to take it work every now and then so if y'all have any ideas on how to make that not a total pain in the backside that'd be great.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    throw it in the bed of the truck. my large has logged thousands of miles in the corner of an F-150 with a ratchet strap cinched around it and hooked to the cleat. My small travels the same way.

No need to stuff it with towels, cover it up, put it in a special carrier, or any of that other stuff.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I take my large and medium in my Ford Expedition all the time, well a few times a year. I can lift the medium in and out myself but I need help with the large.
    I always take the fire ring and fire box out before i put them in the car then when they are in the car I put it all back in the egg. I take a ratchet strap and strap it to the back off seat and off we go. I always have someone hold the nest when taking them out of the car.
    Good luck,
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    We've got an XL, a L and two smalls ... and they all travel in the back of the truck or on a trailer strapped in tight. I used to remove all the parts, pack with towels, ensure nothing vibrated etc .... now I just wheel the entire egg up a ramp and into the bed of the truck. Roll it off and light the coals. Haven't had anything break in over ten road trips with all four eggs.

JM