Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky marinade?

Options
ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to start marinading some beef jerky. What are some of the favorites out there?
Is tenderquick a must???

Comments

• smokeydrew
    Options
    ShortRib,
    tenderquick or prague powder #1(i think it's 1) is used as a preservative. Without it, you will need to keep it refrigerated and treat it much like any other cooked beef product.[p]At least that is from what I've seen in my research.[p]HTH,
    smokeydrew

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bcece82c.jpg
    <p />ShortRib,[p]No tenderquick.[p]1 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    tsp garlic powder
    tsp onion powder
    1 1/2 tbs cowlick rub
    1/2 tbs cayenne pepper[p]A variation of Gfw's River City Beef Jerky.[p]Cook indirect at 200 or less using a little wood. To much will give the meat a bitter taste.
    Because of the high sugar content, it may only cook 6-8 hours so you have to keep and eye on it.[p]Love jerky.[p]BeefJerky1.jpg[p]CWM

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    ShortRib, I don't think tenderquick is a must. Moderate to high salt content and complete drying IS a must. Salt and drying inhibits bacterial growth. Lack of oxygen also inhibits growth. Sooooooo, I make jerky in soy, teriyake and worshtechire base(all have high salt content and soy is the highest), dry completely in a dehydrator after smoking on the Egg, and seal in foodsaver bags. My jerky will last 2 months for sure, unrefridgerated in a food saver bag.[p]My favorite home made marinade is teriyake, lots of black pepper, fresh or ground ginger, a little sugar, molasses or honey, and ground chile's like ancho or arbol.[p]Scott

• ShortRib
    Options
    Borders,[p]I don't have a dehydrator! Will it not dry out enough on the egg???

• ShortRib
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Is that enough marinade for 4 pounds of beef?

• ShortRib
    Options
    smokeydrew,
    I think I might marinade it tonight and add some tender quick tomorrow morning. I think they sell it at the Super Target.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    ShortRib,
    Yep, I usually do around 6 lbs. [p]CWM

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    ShortRib, Yes, it will dry out enough on the egg, but only at temps higher than I like to bring it to. I don't like to get my jerky above 150, and it won't dry out on the egg at that temp, mainly because you'd have to keep the egg at 150 for hours and that's nearly impossible to do. [p]Follow Car Wash Mike's instructions and let us know how it goes.[p]Scott

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    2005_0110Image0006.jpg
    <p />ShortRib,
    follow gfw's river city jerky recipe. ive never found the tender quick around here, but keep it refridgerated. take some with me on the way out the door and it doesnt spoil during the day. doesnt last long enough around here to worry about it going bad. i use the small burnt pieces of lump left over from previous cooks and keep the pit only half full or less to keep the temp down in the 150 degree range, some spikes to 170 but i keep an eye on it. cook direct on a raised grill hanging on skewers with large pieces is how ive been doing it lately. the picture is beef and salmon, the salmon had a lot of sugars added to the regular recipe

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it