Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

potential BGE owner

Options
JDBoulder
JDBoulder Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

I am a new member to the forum and would like some advice.
I do not own an egg and have done lots of research (maybe too much) and now would like some extra convincing. I have not eaten anything or cooked anything on an egg. It seems like it would fulfill what I am looking for. I currently have a 18" weber kettle and an gas grill which is on its way out.

I can purchase a new large egg with nest and plate setter for $1110.00 or wait until eggfest and buy a demo egg and nest with plate setter for about $900.00.
What is the benefit of buying a new egg over the demo except waiting 2 months to cook.
Or I can go the other way and buy a 18" WSM for under $300.00 and use that with my current weber kettle saving me $600.00.

Thank you all ;)

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I'd opt for the demo!!~~
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    If all you want to do is smoke food, the WSM would most likely fit the bill. I've never even seen a wsm, so I really can't speak to their merits or minuses. I'm not saying the WSM can't do the following things, I'm just saying what an egg can do.

The egg can do more than smoke food. For example, You can get a pizza stone and make wood fired pizzas. You can sear meat at 700 degrees and then drop the pit temp down to finish cook, etc.

Another benefit to the egg is that it's thick construction provides amazingly stable grilling temperatures. I've only had my egg for a few weeks and have only cooked one real meal on it. I did a 7lb pork shoulder. Once I got the temperature stabilized with the upper and lower vent settings, it stayed rock solid at 250, for about 8 hours. I had to adjust it a bit when the outside temps dropped as the fog came in from the coast, but after I adjusted for that - rock solid for the rest of the cook.

Maybe the WSM is as stable and versatile, Again I don't know.

As far as the cost: Is the wait worth the difference in cost? If you're willing to wait, why not save the cash? A few hundred extra dollars will buy a lot of meat and lump coals. :) I purchased my egg used, and it cooks just the same as a new one. :)

Good luck with your decision.

Ted
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    WSM is a fine little cooker with some limitations. It is a bit akward to load some items and you will have to deal with the fire a lot more often than the EGG® when you do a long cook. With the EGG and a load of lump you can get 18 to 24 hours easily which is way more time than you will ever need to smoke something.

The other thing you are missing is you have never tasted the food. The moisture content in food from the EGG is off the charts without doing any gimmicks.

With any metal cooker, you spend a lot of time trying to get the effect the EGG gets naturally.

This is not an area you really should scrimp on, especially since you took the time to come here and get more information. That means you are committed to good food or soon will be.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    That pretty much says it all, Bobby-Q. ;)

"With any metal cooker, you spend a lot of time trying to get the effect the EGG gets naturally. "

well put
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    I'd go for the demo. You will be amazed at the quality and versatility the LBGE will give you in your food as it's not just a smoker. If you can try to find a dealer in your area, or an egger, and see if you can try something they cook, I think after the first bite you'll convince yourself. Good luck!Randy
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    If you're willing to wait, there is basically no difference between the demo and a brand new egg, ex for the inside of the demo egg will not be pristine white anymore. I would probably wait for the demo.

I don't think you'll ever be sorry you got the egg.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    If you hang around here very lont you won't be a potential BGE owner, you'll be an Egghead!

I'd go for the demo. If it is a demo from an eggfest, sign up to cook, cook on a brand new egg, and take that one home at the end of the day!

The first time I had a steak cooked on an egg, I couldn't believe how good it was. I started researching immediately, and purchased soon after, and now have 2 eggs.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Ouch, where did those prices come from?
  • TRPIV
    Options
    Those prices he quoted are pretty much in line with what you'd pay in California, Bay area.
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    $649 for a large about 6 months ago here in Atlanta. Prices have gone up but not to $1000.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    We don't know what accessories are included in the final price. Your $649 price must be for a naked Egg.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Go to the Eggfest and spring for the demo. That way you can taste the food coming off and if you decide it isn't your cup of tea you can go home with your money in your pocket.

BTW, one Egg is never enough. I own three. :)
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Woodoven 10,000 - 20,000 dollars properly done depends where you live in the world

a good smoker - weber bullet 400.00 - 500.00 dollars

good gas grill with no lifetime warranty 1000.00

weber kettle - great unit but burns alot of lump and wastes alot of time average price 250.00 - 300.00 dollars

One big green egg does all this and a lifetime warranty. The best thing is the results of the cooks! Don't think anymore go buy it! Forget about the the demo deal and plan your weekend party this year. The demo will be for the second EGG ;) they seem to multiply on this site and in your home....I have three...2 XL's and a medium :woohoo: ! And a mini will find its way soon. :woohoo:
  • JDBoulder
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.
    From what I have heard about this forum has proven to be true, you all are so nice :cheer:

The prices I quoted are for the Bay Area and the "New" EGG price is with a 15% discount.
    Man I wish we had ATL prices.

Thanks again and I will be putting my deposit down for a demo today!!
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    Yes, just the standard stuff, but still $49 for a platesetter and nest for $80... still don't add up.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    You won't be sorry! I bought my first egg as a replacement for my Weber Kettle that I replaced a couple of times... Don't think my egg will ever wear out like that. In any case I couldn't cook like I do now with a Weber!!

My second egg I bought at Eggtoberfest and I'm not sorry. I used both of them last night.
  • TRPIV
    Options
    "I can purchase a new large egg with nest and plate setter for $1110.00..."

Here in California, it's 799.99 for a large, 179.99 for the nest, plate setter is 50.00. Add on to that the 9.5% sales tax, and you're right up there.

Your prices and local taxes may vary...
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I paid somewhere around a thousand for a similar setup. And that was several years ago.

Someone has to pay for hauling that heavy thing to the west coast - and I guess it's the consumer. Don't know why the good stuff is always made on the east coast!
  • TRPIV
    Options
    JD,
    Where in the Bay are you? Where are you getting your egg?

When is Eggfest down here again?

Ted
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I bought a demo about 1.5 yrs ago. They are the best value out there, new warranty discounted price and has only been cooked on for 1 event. Once you get it going you won't look back!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I hope you are dealing with Smitty at Eggs by the Bay. He is the BEST OF THE BEST when it come to dealers. I live 200 miles from him and would not even consider dealing with anyone else.
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    I've owned both......still use the weber for grilling steaks and some other quick cooks. There is no comparison in the slo cooking performance of the two grills. If you like lo and slow cooks, buy the Egg....new is used is your call. But, if I was gonna have only one grill, it would be the BGE.