Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

HELP POST How I set my AR for a three tier cook

2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
edited 5:30AM in EggHead Forum
This is an excerpt from a tribute cook for CWM.

I will smoke six (6) slabs of baby backs.

This day was full of firsts. I never smoked baby back ribs so today was my first. I never had six slabs of ribs in my egg using my ar and I had trouble at first. I made a couple of calls. One was to my good friend Grandpas Grub and the other was to my friend Mad Max. Thanks guys! ;) Here is how I made it work.

With the spider and 14 inch stone and drip pan first

then the 18 inch grid

000_2247.jpg

Then the AR with to two more slabs

000_2248.jpg

Then the AR extender and two more slabs

000_2249.jpg

I smoked them 250° until they were just how we like them! :P I did spritz them every hour with 50%/50% apple cider vinegar/apple juice and rotated moving the bottom up one place every hour with the top going to the bottom. That way every thing cooked evenly. Five hours later we wrapped them up for a short rest.

The BB were great as well as the corn on the cob

corn-on-the-cob.gif

I ate like a pig but then so did everyone else :P I heard word like "best dam ribs" and "i'm full" that makes me feel good that I did something to bring people together in fellowship.

Comments

• I want that AR big time.....
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    That setup requires;

Spider

13 Baking stone

13 Drip pan

Regular grid

AR

2 oval grids

grid slider

grid extender
  • I appreciate your clarification on that, 2fat.......I really wanna get that set up......sometimes I get a bit confused about what to order......you just cleared it up.
    I want you to be aware since I purchased this setup they now sell;

Oval baking stone

Oval drip pan

I also want you to know the oval stone and drip pan will not fit in the spider. You will need to figure out another way to set up for three tier cooking. Tim
    Another thing call the ceramic grill store Tom is very nice and is always helpful. :)
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 3,417
    Cannot second the "call Tom" opinion enough, I myself have never talked to the man, but everybody raves about him and I could have saved alot in shipping had I talked to him instead of making a bunch of orders figuring out what I need as I go. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    I called him and talked about what cooks/meats I would do. I told him I would give him a call back and I did after I developed more questions and placed my order. I wanted to get the bulk of my order if not all of it because I didn't want to spend a lot of money one at a timing it with the cost of shipping.

I may get three other things but, I can make due with what I have until then. :)
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 3,417
    Oh as soon as I have some extra cash there will be another order, oh well money doesn't make me happy, spending it does :laugh:
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Perfect Cook!!! The AR is just so versatile, I have one for each of my eggs and use them for almost every cook.
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Thanks Tim, appreciate this post!
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    You did GOOD! ;) The ribs look FABULOUS! :) and YUMMEE TOO! :)
  • Egger 4 6Egger 4 6 Posts: 26
    Does anyone know if this set-up is available for a XL?
    Egger 4 6, Here is a link to the ceramicgrillstore.com.

Read is over closely. I don't have an extra large egg but, I do know the extra large got a make over.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106&Itemid=308
    I use my AR most every cook. I admit I don't use my wok enough. Feel free to contact me any time. Tim :)
    Thanks Hoss. I was asked to show how I setup to cook on three grids using the AR. Like I said this post was from a past cook that got posted in the CWM rib post back when. :)
    Thanks Jerry. The cook you see was a busy cook spritzing and rotating often. I must say the finished product was perfect. ;) :P
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Those look good Tim. Also thanks for the how to. :) I just recieved some "parts" from Tom for my large and XL. :woohoo:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    He does have an AR for the "new" style XL. I don't have the new style so I had to do with a different setup. Talk to Tom, he will line you up. My stuff just got here last night. Guess what I am doing right now. :whistle:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,485
    Tim, check you out, going multi-vertical on the ribs, very nice! The 3 grid rib cooks is probably the most detailed cook you can do on the rig, as it's layered ribs throughout the egg. Looks like you got the hang of it.

One suggestion that may improve your cook is set the lowest rib pair at rig level 1.5, lowest bracket setting. Having the grid here gets it up and off the fire ring. Now heat off the lump has room to rise out of the fire ring. Plus when you pull the rig, all the ribs come with it.

Another thing to consider is foil the pan more rectangular. Bring the short side of the rectangle up and out to cover the rib ends. Again, having the lowest grid on level 1.5 provide the vertical headroom and makes this easier to do.

Thanks for sharing! tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    Hey Dave Thanks. I rode 287 round trip today. Now I'm sun burnt and look like a raccoon. :woohoo:
    RIBS! :P
    Hey Tom! Thanks so much for the tips. ;) ;)

Your right about how involved the three tier rib cook is. I quickly spritzed and rotated. I need another oval grid. Thanks again for the tips. Tim :)