Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm conflicted...

MusicMan78
MusicMan78 Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was going to have some friends over to watch the Tigers home opener today at three. It is (and has) been pouring rain and there is talk of the game being delayed or canceled....guess I might have to eat this all by my self :laugh:

6lb center cut pork loin, garlic slivers inserted randomly, slathered in a mix of mustard and buttermilk, rubbed in billy bones, covered with a pound of bacon and rested overnight

DSC00596.jpg

any idea of cooking time @ about 350-400 dome indirect? I have a thermoworks probe thermometer and a thermapen, thinking about pulling at 140? and tenting for a bit, or is that too low of a temp to safely consume??

Comments

• Holy moley, look at that beast! 6 lbs of loin, how many lbs of bacon?

How are you planning on keeping the bacon on there...or will you be cooking it in the saran wrap? ;)

I find the inclusion of buttermilk curious. Generally I'm a fan of recipes with buttermilk, but I've never seen it used in this manner.
  • MusicMan78
    I just took it out of the fridge to take a pic, the wrap will be removed. In the past I have tied them with butcher twine but I was lazy last night. Used just under a pound of bacon. Thinking about putting in my rack but may just lay on grid. When mixing buttermilk and mustard I think it gives it a richer flavor and tenderizes it more. I have only tried this once before with tenderloins and they turned out pretty good so going with my first recipe on a larger cut of pig.

Heres my first attempt, if you want detailed version just search "baconator" on the forum

DSC00284.jpg
  • Yep, I've done it myself a couple times, just curious if you were going to do something to keep the bacon from coming off when you handle the loin.

Not sure how the buttermilk and mustard would affect it, but with the bacon wrapped around it, veggies in the drip pan underneath come out pretty fantastic. I'm partial to roasted brussels sprouts.

IMG_1936.jpg
  • MusicMan78
    I like how you think, was going to do some potato's with the loin but now I think I will small cube them and mix with some brussel sprouts and place under then loin in the drop pan and see what happens. The mustard/buttermilk/rub is the glue that will hold the bacon on until I get it on the egg. I am doing fat cap down and will not flip once on the egg. The bacon didn't quite reach all the way around the beast and hopefully it will render together with the cap and hold until I carve. Will try to get some cooked pics up later, thanks for the veg idea!
  • hedclown
    hedclown Posts: 10
    I pull mine at 135 and then tent. You will usually get a 10 degree rise which will have just a little pink in the middle. USDA reco is 160, but that is outdated in my opinion.
  • hedclown
    hedclown Posts: 10
    I pull mine at 135 and then tent. You will usually get a 10 degree rise which will have just a little pink in the middle. USDA reco is 160, but that is outdated in my opinion.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You will be fine food-safety-wise at 140. The 160 thing was the old days when you had to worry about trichinosis. Pork is much safer nowadays and 160 is not required for safety reasons.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I pull @ 135 and coast to 140, plus a few..
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    and given that trich is killed at 140 (ok, 138), it was probably even more about the fact the no one used thermometers then anyway.

nothing like a 20 degree safety factor :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    that looks divine.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I would pull it in the 135-NO MORE THAN 140 range,tent,rest for 10 minutes then slice and serve.The internal temp will continue to rise a few degrees during the rest.Good luck,it looks GREAT!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Really nicely put togeather! Your sliced pic looks great.