Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Made Pastrami Today

ShiffShiff Posts: 1,273
edited 12:23AM in EggHead Forum
A couple of weeks ago I visited all the local markets looking for a left over Corned Beef but couldn't find any. I decided it was time for me to make my own. I used the Alton Brown recipe and got the saltpeter at a local drugstore.

I brined it for 10 days and this is how it looked after it was done. I used 1 large brisket (cut in half) and a small one.

DSC00995.jpg

I decided to boil the corned brisket to make it more tender (I had problems when I smoked a previous store bought corned beef). I slathered them with mustard as shown.

DSC00997.jpg

Put them on the BGE indirect at 225 grid temp and apple wood for smoke. Left them on for 2 hours.

DSC00998.jpg

Pulled and sliced

DSC00999.jpg

While I was doing the boiling and smoking, I made a sourdough rye bread to go with the meal. I didn't take a picture of the bread since it was cooked in a regular oven.
Barry Lancaster, PA
·

Comments

• JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Great job.Did the boiling help a lot? Since the Egg was hot should have done it in the Egg. Does a fine job just make sure the apple is burned up so not smokie bread. I have done not knead bread and turned out great.
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,273
    The boiling made it very tender. Once before I just put it on the egg after soaking it and cooked it low and slow, but it still came out dry and not very tender. I may try it again, but didn't want to risk wasting all the days I spent brining this one.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·