Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Made Pastrami Today

ShiffShiff Posts: 1,372
edited 11:53PM in EggHead Forum
A couple of weeks ago I visited all the local markets looking for a left over Corned Beef but couldn't find any. I decided it was time for me to make my own. I used the Alton Brown recipe and got the saltpeter at a local drugstore.

I brined it for 10 days and this is how it looked after it was done. I used 1 large brisket (cut in half) and a small one.

I decided to boil the corned brisket to make it more tender (I had problems when I smoked a previous store bought corned beef). I slathered them with mustard as shown.

Put them on the BGE indirect at 225 grid temp and apple wood for smoke. Left them on for 2 hours.

Pulled and sliced

While I was doing the boiling and smoking, I made a sourdough rye bread to go with the meal. I didn't take a picture of the bread since it was cooked in a regular oven.
Barry Lancaster, PA

• JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Great job.Did the boiling help a lot? Since the Egg was hot should have done it in the Egg. Does a fine job just make sure the apple is burned up so not smokie bread. I have done not knead bread and turned out great.
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,372
    The boiling made it very tender. Once before I just put it on the egg after soaking it and cooked it low and slow, but it still came out dry and not very tender. I may try it again, but didn't want to risk wasting all the days I spent brining this one.
    Barry Lancaster, PA