Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie mistake!

Options
Stooge
Stooge Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my large Egg for about 5 weeks. Had about 10 cooks on it and even though I wasn't perfect, they were all good if not great. Tonight I tried Car Wash Mike's ribs. Awesome by the way! The problem was, the ribs were large and came in contact with the side of the grill at gasket level. When I went to pull them off to mop them, the gasket was stuck to one of the racks and pulled partially away before I realized it. :angry: Guess I'll be replacing it now!

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Some will tell you not to bother replacing, but in the end it all depend on the seal you get. No air leaks,no need. Welcome to the family!
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. This is the best spot for tips and help. On the gasket..not a big issue. You can run without one or replace it for minimal cash. I ran my large for a couple of months with one that was burned in several spots. I finally replaced it with a Rutland and used Permatex copper adhesive. I did a high heat cook on my 3 week old small yesterday and fried the gasket. I will order a new Rutland gasket from Ron (RRP here on the forum)tomorrow.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!
    As for a gasket.....Yes, they serve a purpose, but if you have a good seal...Replace?...What for?? Put it off for better weather.
    I have had mine "Gone" for better than a year. Seems to not be a problem.
    However, I will put on a new one this spring / summer just because of the damper when closing.
    No thud intended!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    if the gasket is still fine you could just try reattaching with 3m 77
  • BG Outdoors
    Options
    What products from Rutland are you buying for replacement gaskets? Are they better than the replacment BGE gaskets? I need to replace mine. First I have heard of these
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Options
    It is a tape gasket. By far the easiest way to get the gasket is to send a private message to RRP. He will make sure you get the right gasket. It will be cheaper than you can find in locally, that is if you can find it. He will e-mail you the instructions to install. All you have to do is buy the Permatex at your local auto parts store.

I did not have to remove my lid to install. I just did a hot cook a few night before, and scrapped off most of the old gasket material. Then just a little cleaning as described in the instructions, and about a half hour later the gasket was on. Finally had to loosen the top band to adjust the dome hight. The gasket has been on for a few months now, and very pleased with it. RRP also sent me a small scrap of rutland gasket which I put around the to vent to better seal the rain-cap/daisy wheel.
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Will,
    Send Ron (RRP) a message and he will get you set up fast!! Make sure you tell him if its for an xl just in case it takes more than one. He shipped mine out this morning. I had to replace it because the dealer didn't install it correctly :laugh: :laugh:. Just kidding :whistle: You can buy the Permatex at O'Reilly's on 41