Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My First Cook

TheLazyCTheLazyC Posts: 87
edited 10:29AM in EggHead Forum
Well it has been 2 weeks and have not had time to cook anything. So I decided tonight was the night even though I still did not have a lot of time.

So we are getting ready
P1000246.jpg

Time to lite the fire starter
P1000247.jpg

15 minutes later
P1000248.jpg

45 minutes later
P1000249.jpg

meats on, they were a little thin, I was trying to stretch a dollar when I sliced up the loin
P1000250.jpg

six minutes later, the finished product
P1000251.jpg
P1000252.jpg
P1000253.jpg

Not bad, but six minutes was a little too long for these thin steaks. Hopefully next weekend will be better.
·

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    GREAT first cook.You need to cook to internal temp instead of time. ;) You are started in the right direction.An instant read thermoter is invaluable.Mine has saved WAY more $$$ in food than the initial cost of the thermometer. ;)
    ·
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,108
    Great first cook, thanks for the photos, we love photos (well, I do).

Keep on posting!
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
    ·
  • TheLazyCTheLazyC Posts: 87
    I normally cook to the internal temp, but I watched the DVD and they cooked at 650 for 2 minutes, flipped, 2 more minutes, then flipped again and shut off the air for 2 more mintues and they came out perfect.

Just need fater steaks.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    I got ya.IT never lies. :)
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473
    Good first cook and better pictures :laugh:
    Real nice.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Very nice first cook, and nice pics too. I would recommend a Thermapen, from Thermoworks.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html?gclid=CKX2k5PMgagCFQVy5Qodm0_lrQ

Sounds expensive, but worth every penny!
    ·
  • Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Nice first cook. Dang, I thought I was gonna be blinded by the brightness of the egg in those first couple photos. :laugh:
    ·
    You know what they say, a clean egg is a happy egg! :)
    ·
  • TN  EggerTN Egger Posts: 29
    Nice first cook. I agree with Hoss about internal temp. Warning......Cooking on the egg is very addictive!
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Excellent pics
    Great job on your first cook :)

Shane
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Nice cook and great pics. If you are ever faced with thin steaks again...hot tubbing works wonders.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    What is hot tubbing? :huh:
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    You put individual steaks in freezer bags or vacuum seal and immerse in water that is somewhere around 100* for about a half hour per inch of thickness. The meat then only has to come up 25* to 35* to be cooked. A basic sear finishes the cook and the meat is done to your liking through the whole cross section. With a thinner steak or chop it allows you to do rare or medium rare consistently.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Thanks, they were already in vacuum sealed bags. I like to buy the Crown Sterling Ribeye loins and cut them into steaks and then, I vacuum seal them individually and put in the freezer for camping trips or whatever they are needed for. Will have to give that a try.
    ·