Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My First Cook

TheLazyCTheLazyC Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it has been 2 weeks and have not had time to cook anything. So I decided tonight was the night even though I still did not have a lot of time.

So we are getting ready
P1000246.jpg

Time to lite the fire starter
P1000247.jpg

15 minutes later
P1000248.jpg

45 minutes later
P1000249.jpg

meats on, they were a little thin, I was trying to stretch a dollar when I sliced up the loin
P1000250.jpg

six minutes later, the finished product
P1000251.jpg
P1000252.jpg
P1000253.jpg

Not bad, but six minutes was a little too long for these thin steaks. Hopefully next weekend will be better.
·

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    GREAT first cook.You need to cook to internal temp instead of time. ;) You are started in the right direction.An instant read thermoter is invaluable.Mine has saved WAY more $$$ in food than the initial cost of the thermometer. ;)
    ·
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,024
    Great first cook, thanks for the photos, we love photos (well, I do).

Keep on posting!
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
    ·
  • TheLazyCTheLazyC Posts: 87
    I normally cook to the internal temp, but I watched the DVD and they cooked at 650 for 2 minutes, flipped, 2 more minutes, then flipped again and shut off the air for 2 more mintues and they came out perfect.

Just need fater steaks.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    I got ya.IT never lies. :)
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,797
    Good first cook and better pictures :laugh:
    Real nice.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • Very nice first cook, and nice pics too. I would recommend a Thermapen, from Thermoworks.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html?gclid=CKX2k5PMgagCFQVy5Qodm0_lrQ

Sounds expensive, but worth every penny!
    ·
  • Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Nice first cook. Dang, I thought I was gonna be blinded by the brightness of the egg in those first couple photos. :laugh:
    ·
    You know what they say, a clean egg is a happy egg! :)
    ·
  • TN  EggerTN Egger Posts: 29
    Nice first cook. I agree with Hoss about internal temp. Warning......Cooking on the egg is very addictive!
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Excellent pics
    Great job on your first cook :)

Shane
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941
    Nice cook and great pics. If you are ever faced with thin steaks again...hot tubbing works wonders.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    What is hot tubbing? :huh:
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941
    You put individual steaks in freezer bags or vacuum seal and immerse in water that is somewhere around 100* for about a half hour per inch of thickness. The meat then only has to come up 25* to 35* to be cooked. A basic sear finishes the cook and the meat is done to your liking through the whole cross section. With a thinner steak or chop it allows you to do rare or medium rare consistently.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Thanks, they were already in vacuum sealed bags. I like to buy the Crown Sterling Ribeye loins and cut them into steaks and then, I vacuum seal them individually and put in the freezer for camping trips or whatever they are needed for. Will have to give that a try.
    ·