Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP vs. Propane

Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know a lot of you use this stuff to get the EGG goin' what is the difference between MAPP gas and Propane... ( why should I use one as opposed to the other ).

Comments

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Good Eats,
    Mapp is much much hotter. It will take a very long time to light with propane.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Good Eats,
    Something about MAPP burning a lot hotter and if I recall correctly you can turn the MAPP container upside down without losing the flame. I use mine quite often in the winter and I'm going into almost a year with my first MAPP gas tank.

• Good Eats, the mapp torch will allow the flame to burn upside down. A propane torch burns upright only. Mapp gas burns at around 3200 degrees vs. propane around 2700 degrees.... You can use a propane or mapp gas tank on a Mapp torch but on a propane torch I understand you should only use propane, never Mapp. In short, get a Mapp torch... it will start a wet, water logged piece of firewood in a downpour. If you ever need to use propane you can attach a propane tank to the Mapp torch. Both gas tanks last about a year in lighting the Egg 3 or 4 times a week. It is a great way to light the Egg.Inexpensive. Some sparks, so wear eye glasses or protection for your eyes. Move the flame back and forth to reduce sparks....I have used both Mapp and propane on my Mapp torch for several years...both work well.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Good Eats,[p]You've got your answer - MAPP is lots hotter, and one tank lasts a long time. Here's a link on how to use your MAPP torch once you get it...
    [ul][li]Lighting your lump with MAPP gas[/ul]
  • Torch.jpg
    <p />chuckls,
    That's a good link! "Chucked" full of good information.[p]Thanks![p]Mike in MN[p]PS I started out with the electric starter, went to the propane torch, moved on to the MAPP torch, and now I use the "Big Boy." It's one of those propane burners hooked to a 20# propane cylinder for burning weeds or ???? but it's about a 500,000 BTU flame that REALLY works wonders on lump. I can have Mr. Egg heated up and cooking within 15 minutes. The link is to a similar burner that we did a Yahoo search on, just for demonstration purposes.[p]

[ul][li]"Big Boy" burners...[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Mike in MN,[p]I use the same set up. They are great aren't they! When you throttle the torch valve, it sounds like you have a jet engine in your backyard.....in 20 years, the neighbors still have not gotten used to it. These torches have a very long handle, so you're out of harms way when it comes to sparks and I've got a 15' hose, so the tank is way out of the way. I'm in Wyoming, so in the winter, I use a low volume setting first to preheat everything before starting the lump. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,
    I read the postings about the green gel, the chimney's, paper, whatever.... but I know when I fire up the Big Boy, we are getting results... not now, but RIGHT NOW! [p]I saw a guy in a campground use one to start a full load of Kingsford in a Weber. He turned it to gray charcoal in about 2 minutes.... and gave us some good entertainment ta boot! That sold me on 'em. My son bought me one for my birthday, and I wouldn't go back to any of my previous methods... of which each change was an upgrade from the prior method. This one works. [p]I lit my grill 2 nights ago when the outside temp (and Mr. Egg) was at 9°, with a good stiff wind. Within about 15 minutes, I was browning some Pork Chops that I threw in a crock pot with sauer kraut, onions, garlic, dark beer, and the rest of the kitchen sink. It worked.[p]Mike in MN

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Mike in MN,[p]I also use it to burn off the crud off of my racks after a lo-n-slo, and of course sidewalk & driveway weed removal.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,
    I use it when Mr. Egg freezes shut... although that is still a fairly slow process. I bent the torch bottom (the horn) in the vise so it matches the lower vent of the egg, then I can just set it down and fire it up and let it go until the dome lets loose. [p]I have only used it for lighting or thawing the egg. My son is in the lawn business... there are no weeds on this property to burn.[p]I use my MAPP torch with the igniter to light the Big Boy...."Snap" "Poof" we have ignition! Stand back! It's a great piece of equipment for about $50 plus the used propane tank from the old gas grill that never gets used anymore. [p]Mike in MN