Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Lethal Combo- baking and egging

'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited 6:56PM in EggHead Forum
I am not sure which is more addicting, baking or egging. I know the combination is lethal. I just baked yesterday and I am at it again this AM.

I have a bunch of dough already proofed in my fridge and my oven is on the fritz, darn.

This time I was a little more prepared. I got the dough just formed and then went out to start up the egg. I really could have waited on that step since the whole wheat loaves require 90 minutes of resting after shaping. I will, however, have a clean burn and a stable temp this time. I want to nail 500° and go for a 25 minute bake.

TwoWholeWheatloaves.jpg
Whole Wheat Bread just shaped.

I'll let you know how I do.

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 17,597
    That looks good.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    You go dude! ;) :P
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,476
    Nice looking cook! I love to bake whole wheat bread and a recipe that I put together many years ago includes honey. It'a a natural preservative and the bread keeps forever in the fridge. I bake using loaf pans rather than free-forming the loaves. Are you using strictly whole wheat flour? Mine are 100% (King Arthur).
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    I am pretty excited. I have long wanted a big brick oven but now I say why? The bulk fermented dough in the fridge and the egg is a glorious thang! You could conceivably keep the egg going and shape and bake all day.

Egg is holding steady @500° and the burn is clean, clean.

Loaves are rising and mellow.

Life IS good.
    Hey, Rascal, good morning on ya'. I am using the "Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day" whole wheat recipe. It is 5.5 cups WW and 2 cups white and 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour to add lift. The Vital Wheat Gluten is scary at the checkout--$8 a pound but you only use 1/4 cup so it lasts awhile.

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=1087

I encourage you to try this method it could change your baking life.
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,476
    Thank you, I'll check it out!~~
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    I heard that. :)

And you are a happy camper. ;)
    Yes, Tim, I am. I really liked my baking today. No muss no fuss. I also am happy that I don't have it quite nailed because now I have to work at something I will be proud of later.