Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Cast Iron Grate with CGS Combo Unit?

Options
Brimo
Brimo Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Almost ready to purchase my first egg. When considering accessories to initially purchase I thought I was going to buy the BGE place setter and BGE cast iron grate for steaks and burgers. After much reasearch and reading on the forum I have decided against the place setter and instead get CGS's Large Customer Combo. Should I also drop the cast iron grate if I am getting the CGS unit or do I even really need or want the BGE cast iron grate? Could it be used with the CGS unit? Any input would be appreciated for this newbie.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Brimo, Welcome to the forum.

I got the plate setter for my large and the CI food grid as well as the porcelain grid when I first got my large egg.

Later I made purchases from the CGS including the spider so I could grill steaks but, I had to get the smaller ci grid to fit in the spider. I believe you will need the small ci food grid from BGE to fit in the spider.

The ci grate is what is used in the bottom of the fire box to hold the burning lump.

You will enjoy you purchase from the CGS Tom is a great person to deal with and a fine egghead on this forum. ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Brimo you will find Tim right on except as of late (both age and lazeness) I have changed my ways.
    Tim is correct on what he is doing and most follow that.
    I have stopped using both my large and small platesetters in favor of Tom's.
    Just this past weekend I bought SS grids for both my large and small so I could stop using the heavy CI's for both. I now use the SS small on my spyder (in the lg) and the large SS on the large. Not HEAVY and I am fine with them.
    To me the only reason for CI is the grill marks on the meat. Save that money and buy Toms new stone.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Mickey, Sounds like I need to get me some SS grids. I have a list started cause I need the oval stone and drip pan as well.

Hope you are recovering well after the very successful Salado fest. Have a great weekend. :)
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I use the CGS Spider and the 13" cast iron grill for T-Rexing steaks on my large.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tim you are not old or getting lazy.
    That oval stone is my next order from Tom.
    I wish I had the money back from 2 platesetters and 2 CI's and a whole lot of stuff I just do not use on the egg anymore.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Brimo
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your input. Sounds to me that if the only thing the BGE CI grill will give me is the nice griil marks on the meat that I should take that money saved and buy CGS's oval stone. Thanks again.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I use the CI with my rig, but I am a fan of CI cooking grids. I have one for my small and large, and need to get one for my medium soon. This was before my first cook on my adjustable rig last week, so the rig is shiny clean:

cf3d20bc.jpg

The reason for my purchase was that the porcelain was coming off of my large grid and it was just looking pretty beat up after a year and a half. Now the default grids are stainless, so that may have delayed my CI purchase. But I like the heavy, heat retention properties of the CI grid. I would delay the platesetter and CI purchase until after the rig if you need to, and then decide if you really think you need it after the rig is purchased.
  • Brimo
    Options
    Thanks John, the photo helps a lot. Still could use BGE CI grid if I had it but think I am going to follow your suggestion and start with the CGS unit and then decide where I would like to go from there.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Here are a few pic's of how I use the stuff I purchased from the CGS and my large BGE and the BGE CI grid in the spider.

000_1844.jpg

000_2540.jpg

100_3312.jpg

100_3305.jpg

100_3174.jpg

000_2279.jpg

Using this setup I smoked 6 slabs of baby back ribs car wash Mike style. I did rotate every time I spritzed and they were a lot of work but, perfect. ;)

000_2249.jpg

000_2121.jpg

First I sear the thick cut pork chops.

000_2077.jpg

Then I raise them up and put my maverick et-73 to use until 150F in the center of the meat (some pull the chops off sooner). :P

000_2079.jpg

000_1875.jpg

000_1886.jpg

000_1872.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Hi Tim, I am with you. Two nights ago I did three racks of ribs, complete with burnt ends and everything. I had already been thinking about Tom's oval stone setup since it seems that everytime I put on some ribs I have more and more neighbors lurking around, then yesterday Ky Wildcat Fan posted a pic of Tom's AR rig with the slider and oval stone. Exactly what I am going for. I will order mine as soon as I return from Melbourne :)
    Brimo, Welcome Aboard! As you can see, you will get plenty of advice on here. I am a fan of CI grids, but I admit that they do not really add a lot to the cook. For future reference you might want to check out www.cast-iron-grate.com, they offer a top quality CI grate :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Frank, Hope all is well with you. Have a great time in Melbourne. ;)
  • Brimo
    Options
    Hey 2Fategghead, thanks for the pictures, they really help alot. Sounds like I better get my order in to CGS.