Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

How big is the XL?

drbbqdrbbq Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ribs%20on%20xl.jpg
<p />Here's a big slab of spares looking very lonesome. (and cooking indirect)
Ray Lampe
Dr. BBQ
·

Comments

• Ray,[p]Which is it, a slab of ribs or a rack of ribs? Or does it matter if it is baby backs or spares?[p]Anyone?[p]Also Ray, is your book out yet? If so where can I get a copy of it? Are you gonna be doing a world wide book signing tour?[p]Thanks,
    Matt.[p]

·
  • South O,[p]I believe that if, indeed, there is any difference, it would be that a slab is an untrimmed rack. Como no?[p]Pete

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,320
    Sespe Pete,
    How about this one....sorta like what you be sain. A slab is the whole side of ribs untrimmed, and this is purty well accepted I think. A rack is a bit more vague, but seems to refer to some portion of a slab.[p]Gimme a rack of slabs please.
    Hee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • Crab legCrab leg Posts: 291
    Nature Boy,
    Hey Chris, nice rack!!(had to beat Backer to that one)
    Seth

·
  • Crab leg,[p]A person could get into trouble. "Hey....Nice Slab!"[p]Pete

·
  • BBQfan1BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    South O,
    A 'slab' is the whole rib cut. With the side/spare rib portion it is at least 11 bones included, in a back rib it is at least 8, but upwards of 13 ribs.
    A rack, you are getting into that nebulous territory... anything bigger than 3 consecutive rib bones is considered a 'rack'. So when restaurants advertise 'a full rack of ribs' for 6.99, chances are you are just going to get 3-4 bones worth. That always threw me at first until I learned that the definition of 'rack' is so subjective... No such thing as full-rack, half-rack etc. Stick to 'slab' and you know you are gettin' the whole enchalada!
    Qfan

·
  • Sespe Pete,
    seems to me i've been slapped more often for saying "hey, nice rack" . . guess its all about perspective. ..heee

·
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]"When I look at you time stands still"[p]"Your face could stop a clock"[p]They both mean the same thing, geeze I can't figure women out.[p]Mike
    ·
  • Crab legCrab leg Posts: 291
    Car Wash Mike,
    Very funny and very true.
    Seth

·