Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Day 2 Pics - Spatchcock Lemon Peppered

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here are the pics of day 2...SPATCHCOCK!!!! Love yellin' that word! Now If I'm being totally honest...the chicken was flavored really well, cooked perfectly...BUT, I would sat it was a little too smokey.[p]Just before I put on the yard bird, I threw in 2 chuncks of hickory. Closed the lid, and watched the smoke for a few minutes. It was really smokey out the top. So I pulled the racks (with the bird) and removed the wood. (The supplied pic is after I removed the smokin' wood.)[p]Do you think in 6-7 minutes the yard bird could have picked up too much smoke? Or, does my family have an overly sensitive palate? (using BGE Lump; is that kinda smokey too?)[p][p]Smokin, Smokin, SMOKIN!!!!
Roasting-chicken--350.jpg

Love this WARM glow...
firebox-glow--350.jpg

Finished bird
First-Spatcher-Day-2.jpg

Funny Bird...It's a cut up!
Cut-UP-Spatchcock.jpg

Comments

• Good Eats
    Options
    eggecutioner,[p]Pics. of the bird look AWESOME... I still remember my first Spatchcock and my family and I absolutely love it, so easy. If you didn't try it this time try the McCormicks Roasted Garlic Chicken Rub that the Whiz recommends it is EGGsellent. About the smoke flavor, I know when I first started cooking on the egg my family and I were especially sensative to it because we were so used to regular ole' bland food. I don't know for sure but I would imagine that the first 5-10 minutes would be enough to pick up some of that smokey flavor. Keep up the good work.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    OH by the way next to the egg...my first Moon ROCK!!!![p]Wooo Hoooo!!!![p]LOL
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    You are one up on me. I have yet to do a Spatchcock chicken. It was just plain old sausage and peppers for me tonight. I am glad to see another newbie having so much fun. By the way are you going to get your first moon rock bronzed?

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Retired Railroader ,[p]LOL no bronze... thought you had to have it vacuum packed! You know...space germs! Maybe I should look at a food saver for it!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    eggecutioner,
    Poultry picks up smoke rather quickly so I would do the first one using only the lump to see how you like it. Be sure you have a clean burning fire before putting your bird in. In other words let the heavy smoke you see when first lighting the egg burn off till you only see a hint of it or heat vapors. After that try using a few wood chips or a small piece of chunk wood, let it burn for a few minutes to get the real heavy smoke out then put the bird in.[p]Picture look great, keep it up.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob
    aka Bordello

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    eggecutioner,[p]Good looking pictures......For a lighter smoke flavor, try woods like apple or alder. Hickory is fairly strong.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery