Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

French Bread and Easy Shmeezy Chicken

sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
edited 8:35AM in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]I decided to not do a big production on the egg last night so I simply rinsed the chicken (5 pound roaster) and put a nice rub on it over olive oil. I got the egg up to about 300 degrees and threw the bird on over a couple of firebricks sitting on a vertical roaster. In about 3 hours we had a chicken that was moist and tender and very tasty. With the egg still hot, I decided to throw on a couple of loaves of French Bread but with a bit of a twist. I got the egg to about 400 and stabilized it with my indirect setup on it. I had a couple of loaves of bread already in the refrigerator I had made the night before, had them fermenting in the fridge overnight to develop flavor. I took them out about an hour before the chicken was done to finish the rise, they were ready when the chicken came out. I put them in for about 35 minutes each and they came out beautifully, crisp crust, nice light airy inside. I wish the timing had worked out that we could have eaten them with the chicken but no such luck. Time to look at another egg? hehehehe[p]Anyway, the twist on the bread was that I put about 2 tablespoons of dried minced garlic and about 2 tablespoons of dried minced onions and a tablespoon of italian seasoning in the dough. Not TRUE french bread but it did add a real nice twist to it. One loaf is gone, the other is being saved for this evening to make sammiches with the chicken. This is a SIMPLE French bread recipe if anyone is interested, great results with little to no work.[p]We ate some fresh steamed broccoli from out of the garden, that was awesome. Didn't put a big load of melted cheese like Gfw but it was still good. Overall a successful evening on the egg, good to be back. I have enough lump for hopefully the rest of the summer now so I won't be stopped by that again.[p]Troy
·

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    sprinter, now your "doin what comes naturally"..having fun with the cook. Good job!![p](DWCN =Old song title)

·