Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Where do you put a hot ps?

RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
edited 7:54AM in EggHead Forum
Had a great weekend back up at the scene of the ice fest. Well GW made (with some vital aid) ribs on Saturday and then had to convert the large to direct and yank the platesetter. Being a fan of 'path of least resistance' he set it down on the driveway that had over an inch of ice on it. :pinch:

f31330e5.jpg

I can't believe it didn't at least crack from the shock. So I took some leftover hot lump and warmed it up in an hour or so.

f5246aea.jpg

Great weekend of cocktails, killer meals, a handful of Crappies and eggcelent company.

Comments

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Ha I would love a couple of handfuls of Crappies! Some Walleye too. :P

I have several fire brick around my egg so that's what I set my hot plate setter on. ;)
  • RRPRRP Posts: 18,663
    I saw a guy put his extremely hot p/s down just like you did on a recently resurfaced asphalt parking lot. It ended up sticking to it and when he did finally get it pried loose it was covered with tar. I believe he later trashed it.
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    the imprint in the ice looks like a UCLA bruin ;)
    context is important :)
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 5,275
    Adam, thanks for bringing back not-so-sweet memory. the first time i picked up my hot p/s the intense heat penetrated the leather gloves and i had to rest the p/s on the gasket :blush: :( :angry:
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Rusty RoosterRusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    I use a collapsable X shped trivet I got from Lodge. They make it for setting hope dutch ovens or their lids. It works GREAT for a hot platesetter!! Especially if you do not have a icy driveway handy. ;)
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    The damn garage was all of 6 feet away. Lotsa concrete and no ice. :P
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    For the record. I didn't put it there. ;)
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,852
    Canugghead wrote:
    the intense heat penetrated the leather gloves and i had to rest the p/s on the gasket :blush: :( :angry: Gary

I did the exact same thing. It was either my hand or the gasket. The gasket was shot anyway; Rutland, here I come (when the weather finally warms up a bit!).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 8,475
    That's why I still have my old gasser. It makes a great plate setter landing location :P.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    6 ft!? Just as likely could have been a mile! :laugh: :laugh:
  • DnormanDnorman Posts: 117
    WE did an event with the PBR here in Springfield last year. They had the EGGs well over 900* and we had to put them in the box trailer for transprt back to the store. So we rubbed them down with big chunks of ice. No issues, other then the gaskets.
  • GWGW Posts: 98
    Clark, what he failed to reveal is it was late in the day when I had to switch from doing ribs to doing chicken and I had grate in one hand, plate setter with rib juiced foil in the other and yes, I was cooking solo at that point :whistle: I'll have to post some pics of the weekend if I get a chance..... Was a fun weekend none the less!
    Yes let us see the pic's. :laugh:
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    How convenient (and 'Adam-like) to have left out the details! :laugh: :laugh:
    Yeah what he said. :ermm: