Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chuck roast

Options
jake42
jake42 Posts: 932
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I seem to recall someone slow cooking a chuck roast for pulled beef.
Does anyone have that recipe? Want to try something new this weekend.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    jake42,
    this is the way ive been doing it

[ul][li]pulled beef[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jake42
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks alot.
    I will be trying that this weekend.
    May have to order some of that cowlick. I've been hearing alot about it.

• jake42
    Options
    fishlessman,
    How long per pound?
    I was looking at a much smaller piece to experiment with. Like a three or four pounder.[p]Thanks.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    jake42,
    figure it the same as a pulled pork, that one went somewhere between 16 to 18 hours.seltzer, ive been told acts like a tenderizer and i think its important to wrap around 175ish.one thing to note is that the plataue has been low on these. 135-150 takes a long time. as for an exact hr per pound i dont know, there are a lot of cuts of chuck and each may be different, ive been using a chuck roll, but i know others use shoulder, 7 bone etc.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jake42
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks

• jerseymatt
    Options
    eaglescook1a.jpg
    <p />jake42,
    I did 2 chuck roast seen here flanking the Pork(center). Dome temp around 230 for about 13 hrs. I used the cow lick brand rub. It fell apart and was very good. I think it is much easier than brisket.

• jake42
    Options
    jerseymatt,
    Easier than brisket. That's all I needed to hear.

• jake42,[p]do you have a good method for freezing meat?? a 3-4 pounder could still take a solid 4-6 hours or so. I've done a couple of these with the last one being around 10 pounds and I let it cook mostly overnight. [p]My fire started to go out so it took a bit longer than it should have, but if things had been steady, it would have needed about an hour per pound. IMO, don't waste the low and slow effort on only 3-4 pounds. The shredded meat freezes well if you foodsave it.