Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok people should I get a BBQ Guru or Stoker?

OconeeDawg
OconeeDawg Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to get a temp controller for my Large should I get a Cyber Q II or the Stoker? I am leaning towards the SToker? How long did it take yall to get yours in the mail? THanks
Jonathan

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have a CyberQ II and love it. I don't remember how long it to to get my stuff from the BBQ Guru people.

I don't know anything about the Stoker.

I'm sure others will chime in.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I got me one a dem DigiQ's a couple years ago and like it a lot for low and sloe's, never have used a Stoker , would guess they are very similar. One of those six of one, half a dozen of other things I suspect. As for service BBQ Guru is great, I can order Blues Hog BBQ sauce from them on Monday, it ships dirt cheap ground service Tuesday and it'll be on my doorstep Friday in time for the weekend. I don't know your 10-20 but shipping along the east coast is usually very good. :cheer:

Have a great day,

Blair

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    wouldnt want to risk the fire going out with either one :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Neither is needed with an Egg.
  • CyberQII! Bob and Kenny are always there for you to help and if you ever have a problem your Guru will be look after quickly. That's all I have to say about that!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If you don't do a lot of lo n slo cooks, save your money. Or maybe even if you do. I received some cash as a gift last Christmas and decided to buy something I didn't need, but that I thought would be cool to have. Splurged on a DigiQ II. Works great, received it promptly, got some great customer service when I had a couple of questions.

However, I have used it three times since I got it in January. And I still haven't done an all nighter. For all the good it's doing me, I should have put the money toward a new freezer. Or something.

Think (more than I did) about what and when you cook before you order one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    The stoker fits my geek habit. I love monitoring and controlling my cooks wirelessly via my laptop.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    I looked at both when I got my DQ2. I can't speak for the cyberQ but as a class the DQ's are lower tech. I mean that in a good way. Its simple to figure out, does what its supposed to, great folks behind it and as Fred said "It's the beer drinkers best friend! :laugh: " Had a few to many. No problem The Q will baby sit it for ya. Nothing wrong with the Stoker at all
    Will just about rub your butt for you if you can figure out how. Don't have any 7 year olds handy so got the Q. As has been said all I use it on are overnights. Working shift work I can put a butt on at 22:00 & sleep till 9 or 10 the next day and not check it once with no worries. Any other cooks just easer to let the Egg do its thing. ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    JL,

You are a beer drinker? I am so dissapointed B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I am stoked with my Stoker!! I run it on both my eggs at the same time. Lots of other features too.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Yes I am Steven and thanks to a slightly better economy drinking better beer these days!! :laugh: When you maning up and showing up at Oklahoma? :angry: The sexual abuse we do to Kanuks is highly exzagurated. Just ask Doug......well maybe don't! :whistle:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • IMO, if you want the web features, so you can connect to it on your smart phone for example, I would get the stoker. The other great thing about the Stoker is it's support of multiple probes.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    What he said!

I use it for all my low-n-slow cooks, even the daytime ones. Don't need it for day-time as I'm constantly going out to look at the thermometer and enjoy the smell coming out the top of the egg.

For the nighttime cooks, works great. Get the Stoker and my laptop talking (using StokerLog - google it!) and I now have charting capability (to satisfy my OCD engineer side) and I have, at my bedside, the alarms you can get from something like the ET-732.