Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sam's Choice Charcoal

Options
berrygood
berrygood Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I understand from a friend that Wal Mart is now carrying Sam's Choice charcoal in Chattanooga. Haven't seen it in Albuquerque. Honestly, she doesn't know the difference between lump and briquettes, so the info may be bad.

Has anyone tried it? Does RO make it for them?

Comments

• holleywood dawg
    Options
    So does Sam's carry good lump charcoal? Have a Sam's card, but never noticed (just started using lump because I just got my BGE).
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 21
    Options
    I purchased the Sam's charcoal and really hated it. The bag had pieces of trees that were as big as my head. Plenty of rocks, and the bottom was about six inches of dust that came out all at once. Made a great cloud over me, and a mess to clean out. But with that said, it did burn well, after i moved the pieces to fit. I never did a long cook with it though. I would think it would do poorly since all the large pieces did not stack nicely. Just my two cents.

BG
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I just now got back from Sam's and they only had a couple of kinds of Kingsford Briquettes. Idid buy some chicken wings for tonight though :)
  • Bobbareeno
    Options
    I've use a brand from Sam's called "Frontier Lump Charcoal". I can't find it at our local Sams here in middle Georgia but I have found it in a Sams in Jackson MS. It comes in a 40lb bag. I bought three bags of it last fall. Think the price was $14.27/bag. It was pretty dense stuff. Lots of big chunks that burned really hot. It didn't last near as long as Royal Oak and it sparked like crazy when first lit. I used it mainly for high temp short cooks...steaks and such. It did have a lot of dust down at the bottom of the bag. I'd buy it again just for higher heat cooks but for low and slow I stick with Royal Oak. Hope this helps,

Bob
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    I have seen it in Sam's, but have not tried it.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    The Frontier brand at Sam's is a Mesquite lump made in Mexico. I use it all the time for Dutch Oven and container cooks and it works well. As far as regular cooks I put it on the bottom and RO on top to suppress the sparks. It does produce a significant amount of ash but you can't beat the price...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I have noticed it at Sams out this way. It isn't marked Sam's. South of the border Mesquite, large pieces. Excellent price. If you like cooking with mesquite it is a good buy.

GG