Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

poll: sausage gravy & biscuits

Comments

• MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    You are correct... grits...enough said
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    It is good enough I have eaten there the last two weeks! :blush:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    your word is testimony enough for me, Seth!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I vote -Any way you want to eat them. ;) Everyone I know and myself break the biscuits in half and ladle the gravy over the biscuit halfs then eat with a knife and fork.
  • Hoss
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :whistle:
  • Hoss
    They also call beef BBQ over there! :laugh: :P ;)
  • MemphisQue
    Or BBQ is anything that goes on a grill as in we are going to BBQ some great hamburgers tonight. In the south and in particular the mid-south BBQ is only low and slow cooking and in our neck of the woods it is only pork. Funny all the regional differences.

Try a thread with various names for Coke....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    :laugh: touché

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I'm in the camp that pours da gravy over da biscuits. I'll eat 'em with my fingers if that is what I got. I know a man that probably died in part to his love for biscuits & gravy. He would drive into town every single morning just to have his biscuits & gravy. He didn't care that he was severely diabetic, he was having his biscuits & gravy anyways. Go figure.

Blair

• Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    My mom is famous for her biscuits and gravy and we always broke the biscuit into pieces and "sopped" it in the gravy. But we also add a little pepper sauce to the gravy and that might not be normal either. All I know is that every member in my family asks for her to cook her famous country breakfast for our birthday celebrations! Says a little about just how good it is... ;)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I know Austin prides itself on being weird, but down here they serve the gravy over the biscuits with sausage on the side. It really does not matter how served, IMHO, biscuits and gravy.. a great comfort food anytime of the day.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hoss
    You can also get em creek-washed or stump-whooped. ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    If you smoke a fattie, rough chop or fine. Make your white gravy with that ground smoked yummyness. Get it seasoned to your taste. Top on some fesh cooked biscuits, you will never eat another diner served B & G again.
    Just saying. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I like to add Tabasco:

03009-original.jpg
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    would that be the chitlins or the mountain oysters :pinch:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    What I do is break the top of the biscuit off and set the top and bottom in a plate and then pour the gravy over it then eat it. :P

Cindy buys frozen biscuits and makes the gravy from scratch. I love her gravy but, I wish she would make me some cat head biscuits from scratch. :(
  • Hoss
    We need to start a poll.I'll bet you less than 20% of the folks on here know what REAL "Cathead" biscuits are!!!I do. ;)
  • Hoss
    My bad,Chitlins. :blush: Not sure bout the Mtn Ersters,I've only had them,skinned,split,buttermilk soaked,breaded and fried. ;) YUMMEE!Chitlins ain't bad either if ya parboil em before ya fry em. ;) Even I can't handle em just boiled,which is a very popular way to serve them.Boiled,with spices(copious amounts)Placed in a bowl,served with vinegar,REAL hot sauce(Tobassco) and saltine crackers.But then again,I may be preachin to the choir! :laugh: ;)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    The biscuits can be either opened up in half, or broken/crumbled onto the plate. The cooked sausage(chopped or bulk)should be added back to the pan with the gravy then poured over the biscuits.
    This is how my Grandmother who was born in 1915 and lived her whole life in rural Alabama made and plated biscuits and gravy. It doesn't get more down home or old school than that.
  • Hoss
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Yeah, stump whooped mountain oysters would make a grown man pass out
  • Hoss
    :blink: Good POINT! :laugh:
  • MemphisQue
    That's authentic...a real southerner has had cathead biscuits. Love it.
  • I...And everybody else I know will smother the biskets :woohoo: :woohoo: and enjoy. Not sure why the gravy comes in the bowl (BTW, that is not commen in Northern Minnesota), but perhaps that is for the light of heart (or heart healthy) folk that wish to administer the ratio... :whistle:
  • That's pretty much good on anything...Except maybe Cheerios and Milk :sick: , I haven't tried it either, so who knows.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Back in my drinking days I would party in these old beer joint honky tonks until closing time and somehow get liquored up as well. :whistle: I usually knew everybody and sometimes you would get invited to go to someones house to eat. Biscuits and sausage gravy would be the main course. Man those biscuits would be huge. :P

A man could fill up on B&G in a restaurant. I would go into a restaurant and order a single order of B&G and ask for extra gravy then when I had nothing but gravy left on my plate I would get another biscuit all for the price of a single order. :P :):blush: I love B&G. :P I have ate my share of chicken with biscuits as well as catfish with biscuits. I need to start making my own cathead biskets...
  • Now why would you go and post about biscuits and gravy? You know it is a favorite of mine and being on a diet I can't eat it. that's just plain cruel Ron. LMAO
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    For the record....I saw mention of grits earlier in this thread. If you want to really enjoy your grits add maple syrup to them FTW. My southern friends look at me funny, but they are soooo good like that.

Oh and add gravy (and cheese) to your french fries. Seriously. I used to get alot of weird looks in the south when I ordered them, but you know after I leave they were in the back trying them. Or maybe spitting in my order. LOL.