Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Beef Tenderloin recipe lost

Options
Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There was a posting here fairly recently, with pics. One pic was a sautee of shallots, proscuitto (I think) and other ingredients prior to stuffing a whole tenderloin with that sauteed stuff.[p]It looked tremendous and I'd like to try it, but I can't find the post. Did anybody keep it?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• egghead2004
    Options
    Trouble,
    I think is was Mad Max who tried it. I did a similar one back in July, it was my first egged meal. Lobster stuffed beef tenderloin with a mushroom/pancceta stuffing with a bearnaise sauce.
    The meal was great and the sauce was awesome, but it separated on us.

[ul][li]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_25340,00.html[/ul]
  • Trouble
    Options
    egghead2004,
    I remember the Lobster one. Maybe I'll check that thread. The one I'm thinking of did not have lobster, just the sauteed smaller stuff. Might have been pancetta.[p]Thanks...that recipe looks great too.[p]This was your first cook on the egg? Nothing like starting out easy :-)!

• Trouble
    Options
    Trouble,
    That's it. I remember now that he said he'd skip the lobster tails next time...the great flavor came from the other ingredients and proper internal temps were a challenge. [p]Perfect. Thanks!

• egghead2004
    Options
    Trouble,
    Easy, yeah, sure it was. I didn't know what a platesetter was, didn't cook the tenderloins indirect, the grid was down low right on the fire ring, and I cooked at 300, not 375 or 400 like I should have.
    Now my meat came out somewhat dry, it was more medium/medium well. I pulled it at 140 internal.[p]Now even with all of these boo boos, the meat was still somewhat tender and the lobster/stuffing was great. [p]The only thing I did right was to start rolling up the tenderloin a little to creat a solid center for the thermometer before I added the lobster meat. I also cut the tails in 1/2 lengthwise so they fit better.[p]I'd try it again with the lobster, but there are 15 other things I'd do different.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Trouble,
    here is the link to my original posting with all the pictures... it was really good, but unless you are a real lobster lover, i think i'd skip the lobster next time and double up on the mushroom/pancetta mix, that stuff was really great. .. .

[ul][li]http://biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/169620.htm[/ul]
  • Trouble
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks! That's the one I was searching and I didn't remember that it was part of the lobster-tail cook.[p]I am having trouble picturing the method you used to butterfly that tenderloin. It looks like you got it pretty thin, yet it doesn't appear to be pounded at all. I have read the descriptions from various recipes but can't get the visual...did you cut it lengthwise almost to the opposite edge about a third of the way from the top then do that again (to the side with 2/3 remaining) starting from the center?[p]Looks nice. I think I'll try it this weekend.[p]Thanks for the help.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Trouble,
    picture that tenderloin as a jelly roll and you are going to unroll it with a knife. ...use a really sharp knife (i found a pearing knife worked well), and run the cut from one end entirely to the other, and keep slicing that way while you unroll the meat at a fairly even thicknes. ..it wasn't too hard, you just have to be patient. .. .DO NOT pound this one. ..its an expensive tenderloin and is plenty tender on its own... the reason the one in my pictures looks a little strange, it that it was the 'tail' end of the tendlerloin, so it wasn't a uniform thickness to start. . .so i had to be careful to end up an even thickness at the end. .. .HTH

• Trouble
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Yes--tremendously. I couldn't imagine a thickness as uniform as the one in your picture being achieved by what was described in the other recipes I read. [p]Thanks again, Mad Max. I'll take pictures this weekend and let you know how it goes.[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Trouble,
    one thing, and i think i said it in my post. ..after the sear, i'd finish it up indirect on grid over inverted plate setter. . .should be much easier to control final results that way (and go with same temps and times as emeril suggests in his recipe). ..[p]good luck[p]max