Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs First Time Out

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it's Sunday evening and after all the fuss I caused asking questions regarding how to cook ribs since my plate setter came broken, I felt it was necessary to share my experience. The ribs came out simply great, if I do say so myself. As a matter of fact I do believe that these were some of the best ribs I have had in recent years (home or while eating out). I used WessB's 3-1-1.5 method with Steven Raichlen's Basic Barbecue Rub and his Still House Barbecue Sauce (both from his Barbecue Bible - Sauces, Rubs and Marinades). The only variation to WessB's method was that I did not apply any BBQ sauce at the end of the cook, I serve it on the side. Both my wife and daughter during this cook were constantly kidding me that I looked like an expectant father. I was constantly check to make sure the dome temp. remained at 250. I was very pleased to see that for the entire cook the temp. did stay at the required 250 with no correction once the dome temp. was set. I would like to take this time to thank the Naked Whiz for his pictures and instructions as to how to make a home made grill extender and to all of you that have helped me this week. Anyway without any futher adieu here any my pictures (notice first post and I have multiples. I guess I did pay attention in scholl after all).[p]
All wrapped up with no place to go[p]Ribs1.jpg[p][p]Playing to a stand up audience
Ribs3B.jpg[p][p]3 hours later and still standing
Ribs4.jpg[p]
Under Wraps
Ribs5.jpg[p]
We're finished in here
Ribs6.jpg[p]
Getting ready to be served
Ribs7.jpg[p]The Retired RailRoader is one proud cook!!
Ribs8.jpg

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    Options
    Retired RailRoader, CONGRATULATIONS! Isn't this great? Since acquiring the egg, ribs have become a staple around here. WI look forward to seeing more pictures! Whats this "retired" business?

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    I must say, I logged on just to see how you were doing. Those are some great looking ribs. Congrats. And Pigasso seems to be having a very nice weekend too. Lots of alcohol or a tremendous echo in here![p]Welcome RR, it's like many things in life...great to start off with--better and easier every day!

• AZ Geoff
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Those look great!! I did some ribs for my first time 2 weeks ago (using the same method that you used) and they were great!!!!!!
    Looking at your ribs makes me hungry for more!! Guess I will do some next weekend!![p]AG

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]Those look fantastic! Makes me want to do up some ribs. Maybe in the next week or two.[p]Good stuff!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Pigasso,
    I guess since you asked 3 times I will tell you. I retired from the Long Island Railroad last year after 30 years of service. I now enjoy my time doing all the things that I have not been able to do while working. I guess I will have to add "Egging" on my new list.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]Good job on the ribs, the pictures and on the temp control! Speaking of pictures, good thing you took these when you did. Another week or so and you won't have a white dome, gasket or a shiny grate...LOL[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery