Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Screwed up, seasoning a wok, Ceramic Grill Store

Options
Scottborasjr
Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a wok from the greatest retailer ever, and now I've screwed it up trying to season it, any thoughts? Do I need to completely scrape it before I attempt to season again? I tried to season without removing the varnish. My bad. :sick::angry:;)
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    I'm sure other experts will chime in later. I think you can put it through a self clean cycle in the kitchen oven to start over.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Not sure of the finish on the CGS wok, but have done several over the years, some new and some just plain nasty rust. I take a brillo pad and scrub it to death on both inside and outside and then start the oil heat seasoning process. Works well for me.

100_2592.jpg
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I think Gary is on the right track....But than so again is Richard...
    I would burn it (hight temp. clean) then scrub the hell out of it and start over with the seasoning process.
    BTW, I really like to do the first heavy seasonings with lard.
    I have had GREAT success with this.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Just remember, any time the seasoning on carbon steel gets screwed up, you can start over and get it right. All that scrubbing burns calories, too.

I wonder if oven cleaner is a no-no. I hope someone will let us know if it's OK to use. I mean someone who knows, not just expressing an opinion.

I use peanut oil to season, and you have to wipe it literally all off, a thin film will remain. Otherwise you'll burn on little globules of oil around the upper half. Don't ask me how I know.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have used oven cleaner on very heavily greasy woks to get the original mess off. a few times I have had to spray them a second time, then when the bulk of the goop is off take a brillo and go forward.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Give Tom a call! He's real nice and would most likely have an answer ;)