Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

ABT's - To smoke or not to smoke

ChrisCChrisC Posts: 107
edited 9:49PM in EggHead Forum
That is the question - Just checking public opinion - who adds smoke - i.e chips or chunks when cooking ABT's and if so what flavors???[p]Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• ChrisC,
    Funny you should ask. I just made some for my sickly neighbor and smoked them with some hickory left over from an earlier cook. I didn't eat one but they sure looked and smelled good. I normally do not smoke my ABT's. As with anything, try variations and pick the one that best suits you and your family/friends.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• ChrisCChrisC Posts: 107
    Spring Chicken,[p]Thanks I am still new - I made them once and they came out great and now I am trying more and I cannot remember - today I am starting a journal to try to keep track. Either way I am sure they will be great.[p]Thanks again,
    Chris

• ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,956
    Spring Chicken,[p]I mad'em like you do this past week and used a few maple chips and gtlazed them at the end with some Grade B maple syrup!![p]My wife said I was a genius!![p]"It's just the peppers"!!.. I started to say...then I wised up shut up.... and smiled as she gave me my just rewards!![p]Evans(slightly blushing)
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • ChrisC,
    I use a little apple wood and it gives a great flavor to the bacon.

• RRPRRP Posts: 18,954
    ChrisC,
    if you read my earlier post today I made ABTs today and I smoke them along with baby back ribs and used 50/50 apple chips and hickory chunks. I much prefer them smoked over not smoked. Today was a first for me - the meat I used tucked in the boat bottom was Armour brand Vienna sausage. - perfect to have on hand - in the past I've always used pulled pork or chili dog sauce - I got the idea of the little weenies from Spring Chicken - not that he's a little weenie mind you...8^)
    PS Vienna sausage is what you meant wasn't it Leroy - or not?

L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,956
    Sipsome.jpg
    <p />RRP,[p]Not trying to speak for our "Feathered Friend"...but I'm pretty sure he uses "coctail smokies".[p]The little beef or pork smoked sausages!![p]Hillshire farms also has a pork "smokie" with Cheddar cheese inside...(sorta like their "CheddyBrats"). I used some this last week!! [p]
    I doused this batch with a little Calvados, and smoked with apple wood
    ....mmm...mmmm...good!![p]The Wife will almost beg for the ABT's now...she's shamefull!![p]Good evening to you!![p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • RRP,
    Little winnie, huh? I represent that remark very much.[p]Spring "Chicken Little" Chicken

• Chubby,
    Has she seen your posts on the BGE forum? Man, if Tammy did, well it would be awhile.[p]I go with Oscar Mayer beef, they also have a cheese one.[p]Mike

• Chubby,
    You must be doing something right. Even your pictures look good enough to eat. I've got a feeling you are going to have a sizable crowd hanging around you at the Texas Eggfest.[p]Spring "Austin Bound" Chicken