Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Todays Salmon Smoke

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
232095c6.jpg
<p />Got these 2 fillets Friday.[p]69c46ba8.jpg[p]Sprinkled 1/4" of cure on plastic wrap; salmon on top of cure[p]de2a21ca.jpg[p]Wrapped and sealed with seam on the top side, into the beer fridge (on a tray) for 14 hours.[p]86302e69.jpg[p]Rinsed cure off then re-seasoned with lime pepper, black pepper & garlic powder then back into beer fridge for 8 hours to form the sticky pelicle.[p]4fc76f64.jpg[p]Finished product, 6 hours at 175° with apple & cherry[p]
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• thirdeye,[p]Looks great. What's the cure?[p]Thanks,[p]Clausen
  • thirdeye
    clausenk,[p]SALMON DRY CURE
    This makes enough Dry Cure for about 10 pounds of fish: [p]1 cup kosher salt
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper
    ½ teaspoon pulverized bay leaf[p]On a cutting board, sprinkle a little of the salt onto the chopped garlic, and mash to a paste with the point of a knife. In a small bowl, combine the garlic mixture with the remaining salt, the sugar, ginger, pepper and bay leaf. Mix this very well. Store in the freezer.[p]Cure fish overnight, (the dry cure will turn into a syrup) then rinse well. Re-season, let pelicle form & smoke until fish is just firm & flakes easily, about 150°. Store finished product in the fridge.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    thirdeye,
    Your hot smoked salmon is excellent. How were you able to keep 175 degrees? A very small fire?[p]Clay

• thirdeye,
    Those look wonderful! You mentioned lime pepper, is that something that you made or purchased?

• thirdeye
    Clay Q,[p]In the summer, I can always get away with doing them in my Little Chief, they are great for fish. But yes, winter cooks in the EGG need a small fire. The 175° is the grate temp, so the dome is 200° or 210°. The Guru goes down to 175° and you can fool it by wrapping both probes together in tin foil and it will ramp down lower.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Rafterdude,[p]It is Tone's brand. I found the 1 lb. size at Sams. It has salt, black pepper, dehy garlic & onion, lime peel, sugar, parsley and "other". As you can see it is real coarse.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    Thanks, that's a great posting! The pictures are great, and the dialogue covers everything.[p]Makes me want to spend the next couple of days "tinkering." [p]Mike in MN

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    thirdeye:[p]Smoked salmon makes a nice cracker spread too. I add the salmon to a prepaired artichoke dip I pick up at Sam's.