Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok with spider setup

Options
Tailgate
Tailgate Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First wok cook tonight using spider. Do I keep the spider legs down to get the wok closest to the lump, or turned up to get a little distance? Thanks, in advance for some guidance..

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Before I got my spider, I wok'd directly on the lump. :) You want heat, not distance.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I usually do in the low down position for more heat, faster cook.
  • Tailgate
    Options
    Thx...any tips for amount of heat at lump level? Should I stabilize at 350..400? Doing sesame shrimp..
  • BG Egghead
    Options
    Newbie here, have wokked twice so far and did it in the down position. It worked better than my stove top. Pieces even got some char from the high heat. It was awesome.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    350-425 is ok. Hotter the faster it cooks
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just let the lump get as hot as it's gonna get. Dome is open with a wok cook, mine anyway. You have to stir stuff.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• LinebackerU
    Options
    For most stir-fries, 350-400 is actually rather low. With a wok, you're usually cooking above the smoke point of the oil you're using (probably peanut), and that's definitely north of 400.

This obviously isn't true for syrupy faux-Chinese dishes like General Tso's chicken, but for something like Sichaun Dry-Fried chicken, there's no question about it:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/dry-fried-chicken-recipe.html
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Stay with Carolina Q's advice. The problem with using a wok on most cook stoves is the lack of adequate heat. Wok cooking takes a tremendous amount of heat and a conventional gas cook surface cannot provide this and electric has no chance. Put the spider down low and let the lump glow red. Have all ingredients prepared ahead of time and be prepared to stir and add quickly. Cooking time will be rather short but the results will be long on flavor. Best of luck. I think you are in for a fun and flavorful experience. Egg on brother.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    glad i read this thread, now I know why my wok cook takes so long, under the wrong impression that the distance would supply more oxygen to the lump for hotter cook.

btw, I think you meant legs up to lower the wok closer B)
    the spider legs down to get the wok closest to the lump

Gary
    canuckland
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I personally get the wok as close to the coals as I can and close the bottom vent. If I need a bit more heat I'll open the bottom vent just a tad...

20110306_StirFry.jpg
  • Tailgate
    Options
    used lowest possible.. turned out great.. wife happy! new skill :) thanks all
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    what works best for me with open dome wok cooking is bring the egg up to 600/700 degrees, open the dome and shut the bottom vent, wait til the flames subside and start wokking, dome open bottom vent shut
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tailgate
    Options
    used lowest possible.. turned out great.. wife happy! new skill :) thanks all
  • smokeystover
    Options
    My friend owns an extremely good Chinese restaurant, and believe me their woks are hotter than you could imagine. He says that's why the food at the restaurant always is better than what you can make at home (except for eggheads, of course).

The gas burners under the woks in his kitchen are more like rocket engines than kitchen appliances. He has a 4 inch gas line coming into his kitchen.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    This is my first wok cook. Turned out eggcellent!

009-7.jpg
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • LinebackerU
    Options
    smbishop,

Nice setup! I'll caution you though: it doesn't look like you have much seasoning on that wok. After you cook with it, wash it with water, then dry it empty on a hot stove (or a hot egg). After that, apply a thin coat of oil to the inside and outside. Never use soap or brillo pads on it. If you don't oil it regularly, though, it will rust.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.