Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

lamb shanks - egged and Thermos\'d

CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,104
edited 1:45PM in EggHead Forum
Thanks to LS for the inspiration (below link) and for taking my phone call, my first attempt at lamb shank cook was a decent success.
[url]http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=730467&catid=1
[/url]
got these 6x 1lb shanks from an organic butcher, worth $37 but with internet coupon offer my net cost was about $10 ;)

rubbed with EVOO, sea salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme. seared on small CI grid on spider …
a97cd12f.jpg

Mirepoix …
f8614624.jpg

Red wine, chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, pinch of cinnamon …
6adde122.jpg

Ready for the egg … (I added chunks of taters and carrots to elevate the shanks, no pix)
6ef146dc.jpg

I was afraid of too much liquid, so after taking this pix I rotated the lid 90 degrees to allow more evaporation. Should have checked the liquid level more closely because the sauce was a bit on the thick side in the end, the tater props soaked up the liquid too …
5ee0ca2d.jpg

At 275 it took four hours (direct 3 hrs, indirect last hour when I noticed sauce was getting thick, wish I added some liquid then), flipped shanks at regular intervals…
2d905ce6.jpg

Served with roasted garlic mash. Quite tender but not falling off the bone…
05ebbb13.jpg

Had two shanks leftover, reheated with diluted sauce and put them into this favourite close –it-n-forget-it toy. Four hours later it came out real nice and juicy, truly falling off the bone…[url]http://www.forumappliances.com/i-708-Thermos_Vacuum_Thermal_Cooker.html
[/url]
Gary
Toronto, Canada
canuckland

Comments

• RascalRascal Posts: 3,717
    Nice one.. 'Comfort Food' at its best!! 8 - ),,,
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Dammit Gary, I am serving mine with roasted garlic mashed tonight! :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,104
    Steve, great minds think alike or fools seldom differ :whistle:
    Gary
    canuckland
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    My kind of cook Gary. Beautifully spiced & done
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    WOW!!!
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    WOW!!!
    Thanks Rascal.
    Gary
    canuckland
    Thanks Beli, the learning never stops!
    Gary
    canuckland
    Thanks Bob, it was good but still has room for improvement. Can't improve on the shanks price though :P
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Gary,

The latter I'm sure. Sorry for the bad advice. I always end up with soup. Not today though B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON