Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lamb shanks - egged and Thermos\'d

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,528
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to LS for the inspiration (below link) and for taking my phone call, my first attempt at lamb shank cook was a decent success.
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=730467&catid=1

got these 6x 1lb shanks from an organic butcher, worth $37 but with internet coupon offer my net cost was about $10 ;)

rubbed with EVOO, sea salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme. seared on small CI grid on spider …
a97cd12f.jpg

Mirepoix …
f8614624.jpg

Red wine, chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, pinch of cinnamon …
6adde122.jpg

Ready for the egg … (I added chunks of taters and carrots to elevate the shanks, no pix)
6ef146dc.jpg

I was afraid of too much liquid, so after taking this pix I rotated the lid 90 degrees to allow more evaporation. Should have checked the liquid level more closely because the sauce was a bit on the thick side in the end, the tater props soaked up the liquid too …
5ee0ca2d.jpg

At 275 it took four hours (direct 3 hrs, indirect last hour when I noticed sauce was getting thick, wish I added some liquid then), flipped shanks at regular intervals…
2d905ce6.jpg

Served with roasted garlic mash. Quite tender but not falling off the bone…
05ebbb13.jpg

Had two shanks leftover, reheated with diluted sauce and put them into this favourite close –it-n-forget-it toy. Four hours later it came out real nice and juicy, truly falling off the bone…http://www.forumappliances.com/i-708-Thermos_Vacuum_Thermal_Cooker.html

Gary
Toronto, Canada
canuckland

Comments