Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party Ideas

Big Polish
Big Polish Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a diferent idea for some exciting food on the egg for a party of around 25?

ive done the usual
pulled pork brisket ribs chicken

looking for something unusual

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    What about steaks, burgers, porkloin, brats, wings, porkchops, hotdogs, atomic turds, pork tenderloin, meatloaf, chili, stews,, and grilled fish. Good luck to all.
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    We've been to parties of that size where you build your own fajitas. Salad, a big pot of beans, dips and chips, and anything else that would go along with that theme.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Stickmeat is alwyas good for a big group. Shishkabobs, sates, kafte and such.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Spanakopita Meatballs

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for liberal drizzling
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
    2 boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted.
    3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1 pound ground chicken
    1 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick Montreal Seasoning)
    1 1/2 cups Greek style plain yogurt
    1/3 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
    3 tablespoons fresh dill
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1 1/2 teaspoons, 1/2 a palm full, cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons, 1/2 a palm full, coriander
    Salt
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a bowl combine onion and 3 cloves of garlic. Squeeze the water out of the spinach until completely dry. Separate the spinach as you add it to garlic and onion. Add feta, chicken and grill seasoning to the bowl and a liberal drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix the meat with veggies and feta and form 18 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place the meatballs on a nonstick cookie sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes until they are golden and juices run clear.

Place yogurt, garlic, cucumber, dill, lemon juice, cumin, coriander and a little salt in food processor and process until smooth. Adjust seasonings and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve meatballs alongside sauce with toothpicks.
    This recipe can be made as meatballs or sliders. I tried making the yogurt sauce (tzatziki) in the recipe, but it didn't turn out so good for me. I get my sauce at Costco. These have always been a big hit. If you double the recipe, only use three boxes of spinach, not four. Good luck. Joe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    depends on the crowd, but a big double smoked ham, easter is coming, they should be filling the shelves shortly. either egrets or dr chickens double smoked ham, search for it. im partial to dr chickens recipe but you need to plan ahead for the ingrediants, alot need to be mail ordered
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    I've found Paella is a good idea for a large group.

You can cook everything on the egg in stages, pre cook some things and then reheat them or just do the final assembly on the egg.

The great thing about Paella, is that you can do pretty much anything you want; (ie: chicken, seafood, another red or white meat, or a couple of different types depending on your guests tastes. You still have the ability to cook the meat your way (smoked, spiced, whatever) It's a pretty versatile dish.

Your guests will be more interested that you did it on the egg rather than whether the dish is truly authentic.

Michael
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Last summer I did Kalua Pork for my fiance's birthday. It came out eggceptional. Pork but wrapped in banana leaves and smoked. Then pulled and served on King's Hawaiian rolls. We had a Hawaiian theme. Here is my original post:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=941548&catid=1#
  • Great ideas, thanks all.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Build your own is always fun and besides fajitas, tacos and/or burritos would work as well.

Another build your own would be pizza. I've been wanting to do a pizza party where I supply all the crusts and some red pizza topping. Everyone else brings whatever toppings they want to put on their pizzas. You'd get a great variety!

Anything where you get the people involved is always good.
  • Dimple's Mom
    I like that idea too! I might need to have a party with all these great ideas.
  • Dimple's Mom
    What about all appetizers? There are so many great things you can make on the egg and people really like appetizer parties.

You could make it somewhat potluck and tell people you have the egg going and they can bring appetizers to cook on it.

One friend had a 'contest' of sorts and people competed in different categories, all the guests voted, and there were some small fun prizes. I wasn't able to attend but I liked the idea so much, I did it for my mom and her twin's 85th birthday and all the relatives competed in bringing appetizers. They really got into it and we got better than normal stuff. And this is a big family of great cooks so we really had some yummy things. It was fun to see how much effort everyone put into their creations.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I like to throw cajun parties. Make a big batch of red beans and rice, some etoufee or gumbo, do some gator tail skewers, etc. Can really get creative and score some major "ooh" and "aah" points but the dishes are really pretty easy to make and on the inexpensive side.

You could even make a low country boil style shish kebab. Alternate baby potatoes, shrimp, crawfish tails, gator chunks, okra, and whatever else you want.

Another party pleaser I do (usually at baby/wedding showers) is a creamy shrimp and grits dish topped off at the end with some lump crabmeat.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    why not try a whole lamb, I got a 36 pounder in the large, cooked in about 2.5 hours
    Copy2ofpigbbqetc210.jpg
    here is the full post
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=707504
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    you go to baby and wedding showers?? :ermm:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    lots of women there