Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Florida Fest Cooks!

egret
egret Posts: 4,168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those of you who don't know, I'm putting together the cookbook for the upcoming Sunshine State Eggfest again. This is the seventh year I've done this, but I need your recipes in order to make this successful. Please send them to me at wjhall at windstream dot net as soon as you can.
I'm showing a recipe from a past fest so you can see what format I will need (in order to prevent a bunch of editing/typing). Please notice :
1) Recipe Title
2) Forum Handle
3) Ingredients Heading
4) BGE Setup
5) Preparation Heading
Also, it would be nice if you ran a spell checker if possible.
But, if you can't, or don't want to do any of all that stuff I just listed, then just send it on anyway......I'll fix it!! :woohoo:

Big Green Egg Marinara
by Kim Youngblood (Vidalia1)

Ingredients :

6 Roma Tomatoes
1 whole Jalapeno (seeds & membrane removed)
1 whole head of Garlic
1 large Onion
1 can (28 oz.) crushed Tomatoes
2 cans (6 oz.) Tomato Paste
2 lbs. of Italian Sausage (mild)
1 Tbls. fresh Basil, chopped
1 Tbls. fresh Oregano, chopped
Olive Oil

BGE Set Up :

Set BGE up indirect with the plate setter legs up. Place drip pan on plate setter. Stabilize the temperature at 325°-350°.

Preparation :

Place the jalapeno, garlic and onion in a heavy duty aluminum foil tray or make a boat to place the veggies in. Drizzle olive oil on the jalapeno, garlic & onion, just enough to lightly coat them. Cook the Roma tomatoes, jalapeno, garlic, onion & sausages until they are done. All items will easily fit on the grid of a large Big Green Egg.
Cook all items for 30-45 minutes or until done. Rotate at least once during the cook to avoid hot spots. Once the tomatoes are done remove them to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for about 10 minutes. Peel away the skin of the tomatoes and discard the skin. (If using sausages for rustic lasagna set aside 1/2 of sausages to be used later)
Place all of the cooked ingredients in a deep dish pan such as a cast iron dutch oven. Add the canned tomatoes and tomato paste and puree all the ingredients together with an immersible blender. You can also use a regular blender or food processor to blend items together. Add the chopped herbs and stir into the sauce. Cook the sauce uncovered on the BGE at 325°-350° for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.

Notes : Depending on how much you blend the items together this recipe can be used as a chunky marinara or thinned down to be used as a pizza sauce. This recipe can be stored for several days in the refrigerator or frozen for later use. The recipe is also easily doubled to make extra.

Recipe adapted from the Big Green Egg Academy cooking class…Bobby Cresap (Bobby Q) Executive Chef