Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spare rib question

mikeb6109mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited 9:50AM in EggHead Forum
Planned on doing ribs today and when i went to the market they only had spares...... :ohmy:
Oh well i have ribs on my mind so i bought the spares, now the big question is do i trim or just cook them whole? Planning on doing them at 225 with lots of cherry and maple for smoke. Should be a 5 to 6 hour cook .
·

Comments

• Jer_invaJer_inva Posts: 109
    If I were just cooking for the family I'd leave them untrimmed. True there are more bones/gristle to pick through but great eating plus might have some leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Jer
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Do them either way Mike, but if you don't trim them then you're looking at a 7-8 hour cook in most instances.
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Hey Mike, I always do them trimmed. Here is a past cook. :)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=803528&catid=1
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,517
    Trimmed or untrimmed, do remove the membrane on the back. Consider doing them a bit hotter than 225 dome. At 250, there is little chance they will dry out, and the time saving will be noticeable.
    ·
  • mikeb6109mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Thanks, i will do them un trimmed to save on work and trow them on earlier to compensate for time.
    ·
    Thanks,but i think i will be lazy on this one and go untrimmed.
    ·
    Yeap just family and one friend so untrimmed it is and will be easier and less prep.
    ·
    yeap membrane will be removed and i will trim the flap and access fat.
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Mike for me trimming is for show. When I buy spares they are labeled brisket bone removed but are not fully trimmed and I prefer them that way. About 4-5 hours in I'll trim off some skirt meat for a snack if hungry or just let them go anywhere from 6 to 8 hours.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i never found untrimmed to take longer, they just are little unwieldy. i find it slightly more civilized to eat them trimmed, though i cook the trimmings at the same time and eat as much as i would if they were whole.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
    Thanks Pat
    all i did was trimmed of the meat end to fit better and trimmed of the flap underneath.
    ·