Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster Bisque recipes

Options
egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any Lobster Bisque recipes?
I want to make some and tenderloin steaks Saturday.

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]"But you yadda yadda'd the best part."[p]"No. I mentioned the bisk."[p]classic.
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    yeah, that didn't make much sense did it.[p]OK, I want to make lobster bisque with Maine lobsters along with some TRexed tenderloin steaks....[p]I've found a boobie flay recipe that looks good so far
    with cream sheery, just wanting some more ideas from the eggsperts.[p]My large egg is going to get a workout over the next 3 or 4 days.
    Chicken Mad Max style tonight
    Lamb chops over pasta tomorrow night
    and hopefully 10 tenderloin steaks with lobster bisque Saturday...Ribs Sunday??? hmmmm

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    egghead2004,
    backer was refering to a famous sienfeld episode. . .. [p]btw, while i don't have a recipe for you, my dear departed uncle joel used to make the best lobster bisque ever. ..one thing he did was make sure he got female lobsters, and add the roe to the bisque. ..made for unbelievable flavor... .[p]what chicken of mine are you doing? beer butts?

• egghead2004
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    but the bisque was good!! I got it
    yup sienfeld...my god I'm slow today, must have been the bottle of home made wine again.[p]female lobsters....is it easy to tell the difference? I've never noticed anything different about the lobster anatomy.[p]I'm cooking a large chicken similar to the turkey recipe. I've done it before and it was great. I love all the flavors that the herbs, lemaon, garlic, and onions add to the chicken by stuffing them in the cavity while cooking.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    egghead2004,
    sorry, i have no familiarity with female lobster anatomy either. ..perhaps one of our new england eggers can weigh in here. .. all i know is that my uncle could figure it out when buying lobsters and made sure he had enough roe to make his bisque. ...good luck on that one. ..[p]gee, i never thought of doing a mad max chicken like i do my turkey. . .i'll have to give that a try sometime too. . thanks!!

• egghead2004
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    sad thing is....I AM A New England egger!!!
    I've been eating lobsters for years!!

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Lobster Bisque
    Ingredients:[p]2 live Maine lobsters, 1¼ pounds each
    3 tbsp. olive oil
    1 tbsp. fresh chopped garlic
    1 tbsp. fresh chopped shallots
    5 large celery stalks, rough chopped
    4 carrots, peeled and rough chopped
    1 large onion, rough chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1 tbsp. black peppercorns, whole
    1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, stem removed
    8 ounces tomato puree
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup butter, salted
    1 quart heavy whipping cream
    1 quart water
    1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup cream sherry
    1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
    Salt and fresh ground black pepper

Preparation:[p]1. Prepare lobster by cutting in half lengthwise through the head and body first. Remove tail halves, and claw and knuckle sections. These are the sections with the meat for the bisque. Cut the body into two-inch pieces.
    2. Heat oil on medium high heat in a four-quart stock pot and add the chopped onions, garlic, shallots, carrots, celery and all of the lobster. Cook on medium to medium-high heat, stirring continually for 10-12 minutes or until the lobster shells start to turn red.
    3. Remove just the lobster pieces that contain meat and let cool for ten minutes. Deglaze the pan with the sherry.
    4. Add the peppercorns, cayenne, parsley, bay leaves, thyme and tomato puree. Cook, stirring for another 5 minutes.
    5. Place the water and heavy cream into the pot and bring to a boil. Remove lobster meat from cooled lobster and reserve for the final presentation. Add the remaining shells to the creamy stock. Let simmer and reduce by 25 percent.
    6. In a separate three-to-four-quart pot, melt butter on medium heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk to make a roux. Lower heat and slowly cook the flour and butter for about five minutes. The roux should be blond in color and have a buttery aroma.
    7. When the creamy stock is reduced, strain into the pot with the roux, and whip with a wire wisk. Discard the shell and vegetable mixture.
    8. Chop the lobster meat into half-inch pieces and stir into bisque. Salt and pepper to taste.
    9. Portion bisque into your favorite cup or bowl, and garnish with chopped chives.

Chef's Tip:
    Adding a touch of brandy or sherry to the stock can bring a wonderful touch to this classic preparation.

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    egghead2004,
    freekin pissa! Joe

• egghead2004
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    wicked pissa!!

• egghead2004
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    this looks great!
    I love the idea of the roux.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    egghead2004,
    sometimes when diving, you can pick one up and see the eggs.when theyre harvested the must be released if eggs are present, and they get their tail clipped on one side so that they will be released again. some slip thru, i dont know of anyother way to identify them, but there is an effort to release them and illegal to harvest female lobstahs once marked. kick up chef arnoldi's recipe with some clam juice, one more lobster pureed, usually add the shells with the sauted veggies get the pan real hot add some cognac and light, i like the show. one note, last time i made bisque the house stunk for a week, open windows and doors when cooking

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    Tsk Tsk...you should always mention the source for the recipe.[p]I only say that because I know Molly, she's a friend of mine from Texas, and this is her recipe.[p]Yes it is a very good recipe and she was very kind to share it.[p]Happy Eats all.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    egghead2004,
    being a flatlander out here in Illinois I have no clue what were youse guys meant when saying "wicked pissa" and "freakin pissa"?
    PS our local fish shop ran a Valentine Day special ad yesterday - merely $34 a pound for lobster tails sounds expensive to you, huh?
    OTOH out here we raise the corn and the hogs and cattle that eats that corn so pork and beef are probably cheaper here.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    RRP,
    walked into a lobster pound in maine this summer and they wanted 9.99 a pound, i turned and walked out. must have thought i was a tourist.if i were in illinois i might pay that if they had no shell. any lobster in a tank for more than 2-3 days aint worth it to me, the sweet flavor of a fresh lobster is gone. havent checked the price on tails lately, but last time they were in the upper 20's. some places if you call the day before you can get the shells on the side for no charge, which you need for bisque.make sure to get the hard shell as there is more meat per pound if buying live.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    egghead2004,
    Ah yes... Back in the early 90's I did a lot of business with the local utility co's in New England so I got to learn the lingo quite well. I do remember reading an article from one of the local papers - How to Talk Baston Without Sounding bizzaaa". Now I can't remember a darn thing except freekin pissa. Later. Joe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    RRP,
    It's New England slang for "great", "cool", "very funny", "that's awesome"... Help me out here egghead2004.[p]Joe

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    TreePatternCloser.jpg
    <p />Bobby-Q,
    Hey dude. Fixin to go camping and saw this. Always mention the source of a recipe. [p]I like to try and even mention sources for inspiration....like QSis turnin me onto those lamb racks seared and roasted. Doesn't take but a second to pass on some credit, though I can understand how it is easily overlooked[p]Beers....and snowy mountains to ya my friend.
    Chris.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    you 're right!

• Bobby-Q
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I hear ya. [p]Have a fun trip and be safe out there.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi, source from RED LOBSTER hopme page under recipes
    [ul][li]red lobster restaurants[/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]Now THAT'S funny. Molly, you been gettin your recipes from Red Lobster? hehehe

• Bobby-Q
    Options
    Pakak,
    Well this isn't the Molly we all know and love. It is a good friend of mine who I met right out of Culinary School. She develops recipes for a living and I spent a few months working with her on a special project.[p]It wouldn't surprise me to learn that she has developed for Darden.[p]The only reason I mentioned it is because I recognized her style and wording and she would have gotten a kick out of someone standing up for her "recognition rights".

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    your choice of words of "would have" implies she is deceased...
    Also I assume Darden is the founder of Red Lobster? Somewhere sometime back I swear reading the founder is also an avid egger

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    RRP,
    No, she is alive and well, well she was the last time I got in touch with her which was last year (I need to give her a call and check in, come to think of it). The
    "would have" reference was referring to the other day and me referencing backward.[p]Darden is the name of the company that owns and operates Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Bahma Breeze and Smoky Bones BBQ. I don't know if it is a family name or not, but I imagine that by now it would be a family name like Johnson & Johnson is.[p]If the founder isn't an avid egger, well he should be. Of course this applies to everyone.