Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Chunks

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first time to use the egg... All I could get was a small chuck roast where I live..(small Town)..I used a little rub. filled with lump charcoal to about 1" above the vent holes. inserted a meat thermetor. It also shows oven temp...Mine was about 250 on the egg them. and level with the meat was about 200.. I also used 3 chunks of hickory ( I think that was to much ) to smokey flavor..anyway when I checked it it seamed drying out on top... well theres about 2 hours of cooking left before we try it out,so I put it in the oven... ( too much smoke flavor ) I used a drip pan ( does that effect the heat etc around the meat? ) what else should I have done.. by the way its a small roast.. about 2 lb.
Lindsey

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Lindsey Webb,
    Sorry to hear about your first cook. Don't be discouraged and try again with something less tricky.[p]I'm thinking chicken. There is a great chicken method call spatchcock chicken that you can try for an easy, fun and delicious bbq. I made it tonight and as always, it was great. Go to www.nakedwhiz.com for complete instructions.

• Lindsey Webb,[p]better luck next time.
    You're right; hickory is a very strong smoke flavor, one or two chunks would have done it, especially for a roast this small. Other woods are more forgiving.[p]Drip pans would ideally be on another grid below the meat, (search for 'indirect' here).[p]If I understand your writeup, your grid temp was 200 vs the dome temp of 250, which is ok but for such a small roast it should be probably be higher 'cause you're not trying to do an overnight cook. Then I'd turn it once and maybe wrap it in foil for the last hour. A 2lb roast shouldn't take over 3-4 hours. Honestly I don't have any experience with a 'roast' this small... your mileage may vary![p]It shouldn't have 'dried out' on top unless you had the dome open most of the time...[p]best,
    HS

• HolySmokes,
    Holysmokes,,, by gosh the little roast came out fair to middlin... a little to smokeeee but other than that good flavor, moist, tender and right smart good.
    Sure much oblidged for your help on this issue :)
    Lindsey

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Lindsey,
    Bummer. Most of my screw ups (on the Egg at least) have involved too much smoke. There's GOOD smoke and BAAAAD smoke. Bad smoke is dark gray and usually comes from a fire that has not settled in for a while, and comes from the lump. It can ruin a piece of meat in about 10-15 minutes. [p]Good smoke is light white to clear to blueish. If you have thick dark smoke pouring out, wait awhile and you'll see the change in the smoke. [p]When you re-use lump you can get bad smoke from lump that has drippings from the last cook in it. You can smell that bad smoke also, and you should let that stuff burn off too.[p]Holy Smokes is right, no need for a ton of hickory on that roast.[p]Try again tomorrow!
    Scott[p]