Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calf Brisket

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As some of ya'll know, I had a 3.5 lb calf brisket that came from an 800 lb locally raised grass fed cow that I was going to smoke Friday.

I fired up the egg around 11 or 11:30 and let it stablilze to 250 while puttering around the yard a bit. Threw the brisket on at noon.

P1020495.jpg

Had some friends come over about 2. Decicded to play some Giant Jenga

P1020496.jpg

Gotta be careful when it falls down.

P1020497.jpg

Chugging right along.

P1020498.jpg

Not sure when I pulled the brisket because I wasn't paying attention to time. It had gotten to 195 and the temp probe slid in and out of a few places like buttah! So got these babies on the egg.

P1020500.jpg

We got bored with the Jenga and my buddy with the hat suggested some ladderball.

P1020501.jpg

P1020502.jpg

Just about done.

P1020504.jpg

Wife had bought some jalepeno cheese sausage at Central Market. Can't member the brand.
P1020505.jpg

P1020506.jpg

After a few hours in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels it was time to slice up the brisket. There really wasn't a smoke ring. I think it was due to the fact that in about an hour and a half, the brisket had already rocketed to 160 and hit the plateau.

P1020509.jpg

P1020510.jpg

I thought it was an ok brisket. The flat seemed a little dry, but the point really good. That's the only part I ate. After dinner, we had a little fire and some more Jenga before calling it a night.

P1020512.jpg

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    It looks like you had a fun day. Egging and playing games with family and friends, what could be better than that?

How cool is that when you can get fresh cow?
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    "Giant Jenga"...Love to see your Beer Pong Table. :laugh:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Great day Jason
    Gotta love the outdoor drinkin' games :laugh:
    Your pup is a beauty :)

Shane
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Griffin those pics look great and you have me wanting to look for a calf brisket. I do have one question, why did you think it was dry? The one thing I see is the flat looks to have been cut with the grain and not against the grain. This will produce harder to chew brisket with longer "stringy" type meat and not pull apart. Just a thought.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Crimsongator.....now that I look again, you are right. I don't know what I was thinking. I know better than to cut with the grain and all I can think of was the turkey might have been flowing too much and people we're rushing me to get things done for dinner. That's a newbie mistake I should not have made. Nobody to blame but myself. :angry:

Thanks Mr. Holloway. That's Oliver and he's a big teddy bear. Don't know where our other furry boy (a yorkie named Bodi) was hiding. He's camera shy anyway.

Photo Egg....sorry, I don't have a beer pong table.

FGG...it is cool. I've got a 5 lb brisket in the freezer that I'll do soon and make sure to cut against the grain this time.

All in all a great day.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Smokin' not stirred
    Options
    Holy crap is that John Smoltz playing ladderball? Good times Jason.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Nice time there~~!! 8 - )!!