Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken thighs / veggie kabobs

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We did a late afternoon bike ride so had to do a quick supper. Fired up the small, added some apple chips. We had gotten some great-looking raw veggie kabobs and chicken thigh fillets at the store.
Olive oil and Shaking the Tree on the kabobs and some of my comp chicken rub on the thighs. 400* direct at FR level, carefully watched, turned and moved around to prevent burning and overcooking. Pulled thighs at 175*.
Getting happy on the small:
DSC_0450.jpg
Done:
DSC_0452.jpg
Dr Butt gives his approval: :woohoo:
DSC_0453.jpg
Nice weather, so took dinner on the porch tonight.
DSC_0455.jpg
In addition to the fantastic salad, Jana, "The Princess", made a new dessert - Black Bean Brownie. Served with Splenda-sweetened strawberries and yogurt. It was awesome :woohoo:
DSC_0458.jpg

Thanks for looking ! :)

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I love this pic!!! Looks delicious!!

DSC_0452.jpg

What kinda bike do you ride?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Misippi Egger
    Thanks, Michael. :)

Bicycles - Fuji Road bikes.
    I rode 16 miles yesterday (while Jana ran 5 miles) and today we both rode 10 miles.
    I'm starting training for the bike leg of relay triathlons.

I was worried about the thin thigh fillets getting too dry, but they were perfect and very juicy. :)
  • Carolina Q
    16 miles? cool! still too cold for much riding here. Rode the Trek MTB about 6 miles today though... to the car parts store. :) Car died and I had to go get parts! hahaha. When it gets warmer, I'll be doing 20-40 miles daily on the road bike. Would love to do a century, but haven't so far. The roadie's a Specialized. Pic's in my profile.

Chicken still looks great! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Misippi Egger
    Michael,

It was 75* today ;)

2 years ago (July 4) I took a bad over-the-front fall on asphalt (no cars involved). Broke both arms below the elbows, two fingers and torn ligaments in both wrists. It's been hard to get back on and ride. I haven't been able to get rides in during the week, but with the time change, I might be able to.

We have a beginner triathlon in mid-May (8 mile bike ride), followed by a Sprint tri the next weekend (40k ride). We plan to get a couple more tri's under our belt as we hope to do a half Ironman in Augusta, GA at the end of September. Big goals !
  • Carolina Q
    75°? Thanks, Clark. Like I needed to hear that!!

Big goals? Yeah, and GOOD ones! Eatin' healthy food and exercising! Good on ya!!

Sorry to hear about the crash. I haven't had any bad spills. Fell over once - was almost at a dead stop - and dislocated a finger. STILL can't make a fist and that was about 6 years ago!! It was my first day ever on clipless pedals. Love 'em now, but you do have to pay attention!! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Looks great :)
    My kind of cook when it can all go on a skewer!!
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Looks beautiful! And so colorful! :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Clark we also had your weather today - love it.
    Food looks real good as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    meal looks great!

i've heard that blackbean desserts are really catching on on this side of the "pacific " ;)
    context is important :)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    looks fantastic!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Great looking dinner Clark, the black bean brownies sound different. I am not a fan of black beans but in a brownie this diabetic may change his mind. :laugh:

Blair

• We did a late afternoon bike ride so had to do a quick supper

Love to see what you can make when you have time! :woohoo:
  • Misippi Egger
    Thanks, Mickey.
  • Misippi Egger
    Shane, (oops!)... JB, :blush:

The kabobs were an accidental discovery in the produce section. Nice to just buy 2 pre-skewered veggie kabobs rather than buying all the veggies for just 2 skewers.
  • Misippi Egger
    Thanks, Julia. And yummy, too :woohoo:
  • Misippi Egger
    Never heard of them before, but Jana found the recipe in a local monthly magazine and wanted to give it a try. I was really surprised it tasted so good - a cross btwn a brownie and fudge. :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Thanks, Jason.

Only a couple of weeks until GulfCoast Fest! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Misippi Egger
    Thanks, Blair.

I think it would be a good choice for a diabetic. Reduced amount of flour and sugar.
    And it had a surprising brownie/fudge taste! :ohmy:
  • Misippi Egger
    Never seem to have enough time :( :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Very nice meal Clark
    Your pics are making me hungry :)

Shane
  • Misippi Egger
    Thanks, Shane.

Making me hungry again, also! :)
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Nice job Clark, nice place to hang out and eat too. ;)
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Wow, great photos!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Misippi Egger
    Thanks, JoJo.

Gotta enjoy this nice weather, as it will be hot as %$&** before too long !

BTW, how's the finger doing?
  • Misippi Egger
    Thanks, Scott.

Working on getting the pics better. Just gotta put up with the "looks" from the wifey ! :ohmy: :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    It all looks FAB U LOUS,as usual.Black bean brownies??? :huh: DO TELL! :blink: I eaten brownies with a lotta different stuff in em :woohoo: ,but never black beans! :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    All these posts and not one person has asked for the black bean brownie recipe?! Well, I'm askin'!! Just went lookin' for a dessert and I got nuthin'. Love black beans and if I can turn 'em into dessert, so much the better. Talk to me, Clark!! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Misippi Egger
    I couldn't believe the taste - NO bean taste at all! Very chocolatey !!!
  • Misippi Egger
    Michael,

It is in a local monthly magazine so i will have to copy it into a post. I am NOT a good typist and it is late, so I will try to copy it and will put it in a separate post in a day or so.
    Gotta review videos and read up so I can do a new type of pain block at work tomorrow...... :)
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Clark, what a colorful meal! If it tasted as good as it looks it must have been awesome! :)