Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Wing Night!

RU EggsperiencedRU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,526
edited 2:12PM in EggHead Forum
Gotta Love it...Wings are so good.

I cook them direct first for about 20 min (10min/side) at around 375-400 on an elevated grid. Then I convert to indirect until done... I do this because I don't like the fat dripping on the coals and making smoke that can collect on the wings (my opinion).

20110313_Wings.jpg

Comments

• Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Sometimes think the same thing about the fat smoke....but wondering, how long does it take indirect to get the skin crispy?
  • Not long at 400. Still fully done in about- ~1hr depending how you like them, never really time them though and pull them based on look.. In any case, this is why I do them direct for the first 20min to get them a little crispy first, then I go indirect...
  • WWSisWWSis Posts: 1,448
    Yummy! Those look great!
  • Thanks - They were!
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    To many wing cooks lately. Gets me wanting some. Yours looks great Jerry! What spice is on them?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,501
    Real nice wings Jerry. What were on them?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,293
    Spectacular photo Jerry. I have yet to try mine direct but need to get it a run.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Hi Mickey,

I put Tsunami Spin on these! Fantastic!!
  • Hi Mickey,

I put Tsunami Spin on these! Fantastic!!
  • Hi Molly,

This one is Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin! I got some at Eggtoberfest and can't seem to get enough. Think I've gone through 3 or 4 conatainers..
  • FockerFocker Posts: 6,690
    The wings look good, makes me wanna have a wing/beer night.

I also prefer the indirect method, same rationale.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• smoky bsmoky b Posts: 648
    good call on the bad smoke from burning fat. it's kind of a pain to do but sometimes I put a drip pan with a little water in it to catch the fat. without it the fat just burns on the platesetter. i have found that I have to put spacers under the drip pan too, or the water quickly evaporates and the fat burns on the empty drip pan.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,796
    those look wonderful.