Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finish repair?

Options
Tim Fowler
Tim Fowler Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just noticed one of my eggs has a dime sized piece of the green finish missing on the dome.

Does anyone know of a matching touch up paint that would be heat resistant? Thanks

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I found some small jars of paint at my local Ace Hardware that I used. It is not labeled as heat resistant, but it has held up on a small nick in the rim of the dome for about two years.
    Color was nearly identical. :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    see your dealer - they have what you need and there shouldn't even be a cost to you.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim Fowler
    Options
    I didn't think finish was covered under warranty, but my dealer is an Ace Hardware, so I guess if one option doesn't work I can try the other. Thanks
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    that "finish" isn't paint - it is a glazed ceramic. Depending on how that spot popped off you could even have a warranty claim for a replacement dome. OTOH if it was user error you're on your own. I had a couple minor spots before I knew BGE dealers carried touch up paint and I just took my rain cap as a color reference to an art store and matched up perfect with a $2 container of acrylic paint.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    was told mine was covered by bge. look in the center of the chip, if there is something that looks like a pebble thats not bonded into the ceramic its unmixed ceramic before firing which is a defect. if its not there it would be hard to prove it wasnt bumped with something like an ash tool etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    'Hunter Green' at Home Depot.