Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

made some lasagna today.....

Options
deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i picked up some spares to smoke tomorrow. it will be my first time to do them. tonight, the missus wanted lasagna. made everything from scratch.....

b8b1792d.jpg

0ca54234.jpg

ce7e6604.jpg

28909a57.jpg

e8c3c228.jpg

i ended up with nine layers.....

4f4b3bb3.jpg

the white stuff is panna, a very heavy italian creme. it wasn't necessary, but it adds for sure.

87dfdce2.jpg

64170686.jpg

d7a4e5d6.jpg

fe91a566.jpg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Jason,

Looks great!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nicely don Jason. Looks super good!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i know someone that i need to challenge with the lasagna, but thats all he makes so i need to let it go :laugh: whats panna
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Oh my heavens Jason, that looks incredible! I bet the panna put it way over the top.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Absolutely frikken fabulous. Truly a labor of love. Please invite me next time, and I will help with rolling the dough!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Very impressive! It looks absolutely delicious! I can understand why your wife asked for it.... :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Man Jason that lasagna looks great. :P I bet your leftovers will be fantastic unless you ate it all. ;)

I'm sure your spares will come out great. ;)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    that looks soooooo good!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    That looks terrific! Do you mind sharing your recipe, or did you just wing it quantity-wise?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Wow...impressive! Looks delicious....how long did the whole process take? I LOOOOVE panna...great idea.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Absolutely amazing. Lasagna is one of those dishes that you just keep eating. Good luck on the leftovers...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • deepsouth
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    That looks terrific! Do you mind sharing your recipe, or did you just wing it quantity-wise?

i don't really follow a recipe, so it's different each time, but i'll be glad to post what i did this time in a bit.
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Austin Smoker wrote:
    Wow...impressive! Looks delicious....how long did the whole process take? I LOOOOVE panna...great idea.

from about 10:30 to about 3:30 with a couple short breaks.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Thanks, Jason! That is one of my favorite non-egg dishes, though I know it could be baked on an egg with ease - just haven't done it - old habit don'tchaknow! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I like how you roll...(*your pasta). :laugh: Looks Wonderfulishious! :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Man, that is some FINE lookin' lasagna!!! That last pic is just mouthwatering!! I haven't cooked it in quite a while, but it's time. I think I'll try it on the egg next time, though I wonder if the lump will add too much unwanted flavor.

Beautiful cook, Jason!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• deepsouth
    Options
    the pasta is....

7 oz all purpose flour
    3.5 oz semolina flour
    3 whole eggs
    about 2 tbls olive oil
    generous pinch of salt

for the sauce.....

28 oz diced tomatoes
    1 15 oz jar of tomato sauce
    6 anchovy filets
    one half onion
    garlic to taste (i use about four of those little pods unless i roast it ahead of time, then i use more)
    salt and pepper
    fresh basil
    italian seasoning (i use some my dad picked up over in italy)

onion and garlic in olive oil, add the rest, simmer for an hour to an hour and a half. let cool

2 lbs ground beef salt and pepper to taste. brown and cool.

one pound of shredded mozzerella
    4 oz shredded parm. reg.

a large container of ricotta cheese

layer as you wish and add 1/2 cup to a cup of heavy cream.

baked covered for 30 minutes at 375 and then uncovered for 20 minutes at 400.

that's what i did today.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

That looks like a lot of work but the end picture sure looks tasty.

GG
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Pasta lined up all the way to the couch.... :P

Looks great!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Lasagna IS a lot of work. Even if you don't make your own pasta. Mine is anyway. But oh so good!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Egg Master 3000
    Options
    I always love the reactions you get from people when you tell them that you cook things like lasagna on the grill! :laugh:
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Nice job Jason
    Fresh pasta really puts this over the top
    Great pics of the final product :)

Shane
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Jason That's got to be one of the nicest lasagnas I've ever seen including italian ones :laugh: ;) Felicidades!!!!
  • deepsouth
    Options
    thanks for all you guys kind words!!

had reruns for lunch.....

e2f520d1.jpg

spare ribs later.....

80b86e90.jpg
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Very nice, how did you make the pasta? Thanks Randy
  • deepsouth
    Options
    bees wrote:
    Very nice, how did you make the pasta? Thanks Randy

kitchen aid mixer and pasta attachment. i used to do it old school with my grandmother, but i scrapped that after i got the mixer.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Jason,

That lasagna looks fantastic. I'd like to be able to make pasta like that. Sweet.

For those who want a killer lasagna recipe. Try this one.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Worlds-Best-Lasagna/Detail.aspx

I've never "Egged" it, but it's wonderful in the oven. I can only imagine it would be great in the EGG too. I follow it pretty much word for word, aside from adding a bit more cheese on top. ;>